Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 am

University of Wisconsin for residents intending to practice in that state. No bar exam & plenty of contacts.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:28 am

The fact that OP starts out as a demanding twat makes me think he/she is 5 years old.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:39 am

I know plenty of associates starting at well over $100k here at my CT-based firm... most of them went to UConn and many went to Quinnipiac, WNEC, Suffolk, among other TTTs and TTTTs. They all worked hard to get where they are, made all the right connections and did so from a TT school that is not even T50. If that is not enough for you, then you are either daft or greedy.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 am

rinkrat19 wrote:The non-T25 dominates its market (probably in the middle of nowhere) and has reasonable tuition (probably a public school).

Colorado In-state or OSU in-state types of schools

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:19 pm

kwais wrote:
vulpixie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I wouldn't pay full tuition for most of the Top 25, but would pay full in-state tuition for a law school located where I intended to live & work.

Examples: Hawaii, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, University of Washington, Utah, Colorado--- among others.

Yeah. For example, if someone wants to practice in the Southwest, top 10% at UT Austin will almost certainly open more doors for him than will a degree from HYSC.

what a useless comparison. Top 10% UT compared to what rank at HYSC? Top 10% then no. Bottom 10% then yes

It's a useful comparison because many people on TLS would tell a prospective H student that he'd be better off paying sticker at Harvard than in-state tuition at UT, even if he's smart enough to make top 10% at UT but not top 50% at Harvard.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 pm

bartleby wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The latter three are better for many types of jobs than the former three.

How is sticker at Emory for basically the same job prospects ITE as UGA defensible? I've been told by Emory 2Ls that even people in the top 10-20% are having trouble finding jobs. From everything I've gathered, they've been on a horrific decline.

lol +1. you can't pay sticker for those expensive private non-T14 schools. i'm not even sure about paying sticker at Georgetown. i think OP will be surprised, though, by how much $$ schools throw around.

I think you two missed the point of my post. Please consider re-reading it. However, if you choose not to reread it, here is some clarification for you:

T25, when used as a cutoff, should include Emory, Fordham, and BC and not UC-Davis, IUB, Minn, or even UGA. And the T25 cutoff is dumb to begin with, as the T5 (HYSCC) is far more appropriate one.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Hmmm here's a creative one:
You couldn't get in to the top 30 school of your choice, so you methodically sought out the cheapest and least competitive top 100 school that would accept you. Once you were accepted, you quickly established yourself in the top 5% of your class and transferred to your top-choice school for 2L. With your new and improved job prospects, you landed a very high-paying job. Finally, you slept on your parents' couch for a year and paid all your loans back within 12 months. Your yearly salary now equals the scholarship money you would have received at a lower-ranked school, and your job pays significantly more than the document review job you'd have otherwise been stuck with. Over the course of your lifetime, this means less stress, greater happiness, and frequent mating opportunities. Ok, I'm done.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:07 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
bartleby wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The latter three are better for many types of jobs than the former three.

How is sticker at Emory for basically the same job prospects ITE as UGA defensible? I've been told by Emory 2Ls that even people in the top 10-20% are having trouble finding jobs. From everything I've gathered, they've been on a horrific decline.

lol +1. you can't pay sticker for those expensive private non-T14 schools. i'm not even sure about paying sticker at Georgetown. i think OP will be surprised, though, by how much $$ schools throw around.

I think you two missed the point of my post. Please consider re-reading it. However, if you choose not to reread it, here is some clarification for you:

T25, when used as a cutoff, should include Emory, Fordham, and BC and not UC-Davis, IUB, Minn, or even UGA. And the T25 cutoff is dumb to begin with, as the T5 (HYSCC) is far more appropriate one.

US News is laughing all the way to the bank with their ranking system.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:43 pm

bk1 wrote:The fact that OP starts out as a demanding twat makes me think he/she is 5 years old.

Somebody paid sticker for a TTT!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:10 pm

180asBreath wrote:
bk1 wrote:The fact that OP starts out as a demanding twat makes me think he/she is 5 years old.

No, you're just an idiot.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Grizz wrote:
180asBreath wrote:

This thread sucks guys.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Grizz wrote:
180asBreath wrote:

In what way?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm

If I end up doing this, it will be because I didn't get in to a T25 school and intend to transfer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:If I end up doing this, it will be because I didn't get in to a T25 school and intend to transfer.

GL HF

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Grizz wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:If I end up doing this, it will be because I didn't get in to a T25 school and intend to transfer.

GL HF

HF= have fun? lol

That would be worst-case scenario here.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Grizz wrote:

GL HF

HF= have fun? lol

That would be worst-case scenario here.

Good luck trying to transfer bc you probably wont be able to

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:12 pm

180asBreath wrote:

Naw, he goes to a shit school, but it ain't TTT. IT'S MY SHIT SCHOOL.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 am

vulpixie wrote:
kwais wrote:
vulpixie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I wouldn't pay full tuition for most of the Top 25, but would pay full in-state tuition for a law school located where I intended to live & work.

Examples: Hawaii, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, University of Washington, Utah, Colorado--- among others.

Yeah. For example, if someone wants to practice in the Southwest, top 10% at UT Austin will almost certainly open more doors for him than will a degree from HYSC.

what a useless comparison. Top 10% UT compared to what rank at HYSC? Top 10% then no. Bottom 10% then yes

It's a useful comparison because many people on TLS would tell a prospective H student that he'd be better off paying sticker at Harvard than in-state tuition at UT, even if he's smart enough to make top 10% at UT but not top 50% at Harvard.

1) Someone who got in at Harvard would probably have the choice of UT at full-ride.
2) There is no way to guarantee a median student at Harvard would be top 10% at UT or vice-versa.
3) Even if a person wanted to work in TX, if the choice was between Harvard at full cost and UT at in-state, the better choice for maximizing one's chance at biglaw would be Harvard.

I go to UT and I love it. But your post is a little silly.

ETA: If the choice was between Harvard at sticker and UT with a full-ride and the person knew they wanted to stay in Texas, I would say the better choice is UT, but that's just my opinion.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”