Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Because I couldn't imagine such a defense.

Disclaimers:
1. Student does not have a trust fund
2. Student will borrow full amount on their own
3. Student will not subsidize it with a big salary while in law school
4. Student does not have significant savings
5. Student will not go into the public sector for loan repayment programs
6. Student will be starting in Fall of 2012
7. Student will have to pay it all back, themselves

pwyoung
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby pwyoung » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:31 pm

It's not too bad if they're competitive and have in-state tuition in a more regional market like an ASU or UW?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Um. It seems like you came up with a pretty good list of reasonable defenses already OP.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

The student goes to a regional law school where the student has a guaranteed job lined up at graduation.

Example, Student's father owns a solo practice and wants his son to join him.

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Pato_09 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Depends what school and if you are paying in state tuition like above poster said.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

The non-T25 dominates its market (probably in the middle of nowhere) and has reasonable tuition (probably a public school).

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm

I did UGA at in-state tuition last year for 1L. It worked out.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Another example:
If you can pay for your first year of LS with a friends poker earning, and if you can pay for the second year of LS by organizing a Bruce Springsteen concert. (Tim Russert).

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:07 pm

In-state tuition in a geographic area where you intend to work after law school.

P.S. What's so special about the Top 25 ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seneca
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Seneca » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:07 pm

If you want a small, insular market with no top schools in the region, you don't already have regional ties, and you can't get into a t14. This goes for markets like Portland, Anchorage, probably Hawaii, even Seattle, and for students who can get in-state tuition or similar. Or, if you already have secure, gainful employment guaranteed by a family member or the like. Generally, though, it is extremely inadvisable - even under these circumstances, I'd seriously reconsider going into that kind of debt.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I wouldn't pay full tuition for most of the Top 25, but would pay full in-state tuition for a law school located where I intended to live & work.

Examples: Hawaii, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, University of Washington, Utah, Colorado--- among others.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby vulpixie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I wouldn't pay full tuition for most of the Top 25, but would pay full in-state tuition for a law school located where I intended to live & work.

Examples: Hawaii, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, University of Washington, Utah, Colorado--- among others.



Yeah. For example, if someone wants to practice in the Southwest, top 10% at UT Austin will almost certainly open more doors for him than will a degree from HYSC.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby shoeshine » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 pm

The non-T25 is a planet and the full sticker tuition is a room outside.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 pm

EDIT FOR OP:

T25 minus Davis, IUB, and Minn, and plus BC, Emory, and Fordham.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:14 pm

vulpixie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I wouldn't pay full tuition for most of the Top 25, but would pay full in-state tuition for a law school located where I intended to live & work.

Examples: Hawaii, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, University of Washington, Utah, Colorado--- among others.



Yeah. For example, if someone wants to practice in the Southwest, top 10% at UT Austin will almost certainly open more doors for him than will a degree from HYSC.


Not really, IMO. Top 10% @ UT gives you a lot of open doors in TX, maybe as many as HYS. (Just speaking in terms of firm jobs, nothing else.) But it's not like HYS students are at a disadvantage in Texas (especially if they have strong TX ties). At least that's my opinion as a UT student. That said, I'd like to here if the HYS who were trying for TX this cycle agree or disagree with that opinion.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:EDIT FOR OP:

T25 minus Davis, IUB, and Minn, and plus BC, Emory, and Fordham.


Do you mind expanding on this point?

User avatar
ElCoqui
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby ElCoqui » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 pm

In-state at Florida is extremely inexpensive and if you plan to practice in Florida then paying sticker is defensible.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:EDIT FOR OP:

T25 minus Davis, IUB, and Minn, and plus BC, Emory, and Fordham.


Do you mind expanding on this point?


The latter three are better for many types of jobs than the former three.

Regardless, arbitrary cut offs (re: T25) are useless and shouldn't be used. The title should be: "Defend the decision to go to a non-T5 (HYSCC) for sticker." This title wouldn't be as arbitrary, as the tip-top schools are the only ones included; T25 includes far too many schools that really aren't better than most of the rest of the T50.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby flcath » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:44 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:EDIT FOR OP:

T25 minus Davis, IUB, and Minn, and plus BC, Emory, and Fordham.


Do you mind expanding on this point?


The latter three are better for many types of jobs than the former three.

Regardless, arbitrary cut offs (re: T25) are useless and shouldn't be used. The title should be: "Defend the decision to go to a non-T5 (HYSCC) for sticker." This title wouldn't be as arbitrary, as the tip-top schools are the only ones included; T25 includes far too many schools that really aren't better than most of the rest of the T50.

William & Mary and UNC, too, IMO.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby kwais » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 am

vulpixie wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I wouldn't pay full tuition for most of the Top 25, but would pay full in-state tuition for a law school located where I intended to live & work.

Examples: Hawaii, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, University of Washington, Utah, Colorado--- among others.



Yeah. For example, if someone wants to practice in the Southwest, top 10% at UT Austin will almost certainly open more doors for him than will a degree from HYSC.


what a useless comparison. Top 10% UT compared to what rank at HYSC? Top 10% then no. Bottom 10% then yes

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby bartleby » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:59 am

I don't see how sticker at BC or Fordham is worth it. Wasn't the CoA for Fordham something like 70k last year? I don't care if top 30% get big law jobs. I just don't understand how a reasonable person can make that 200k gamble.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:The latter three are better for many types of jobs than the former three.


How is sticker at Emory for basically the same job prospects ITE as UGA defensible? I've been told by Emory 2Ls that even people in the top 10-20% are having trouble finding jobs. From everything I've gathered, they've been on a horrific decline.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby bartleby » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The latter three are better for many types of jobs than the former three.


How is sticker at Emory for basically the same job prospects ITE as UGA defensible? I've been told by Emory 2Ls that even people in the top 10-20% are having trouble finding jobs. From everything I've gathered, they've been on a horrific decline.


lol +1. you can't pay sticker for those expensive private non-T14 schools. i'm not even sure about paying sticker at Georgetown. i think OP will be surprised, though, by how much $$ schools throw around.

User avatar
caputlupinum
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby caputlupinum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 am

180asBreath wrote:Because I couldn't imagine such a defense.

Disclaimers:
1. Student does not have a trust fund
2. Student will borrow full amount on their own
3. Student will not subsidize it with a big salary while in law school
4. Student does not have significant savings
5. Student will not go into the public sector for loan repayment programs
6. Student will be starting in Fall of 2012
7. Student will have to pay it all back, themselves



How can you defend half the shit people do for a career?
Defend these career prospects
1. Going to college only to get stuck at a dead end job
2. Paying close to 200 grand for flight time to become a pilot
3. Moving to LA/NYC on a whim to become a famous actor
4. Taking out a start up loan to start a business
5. Wasting your one chance at life by taking the safe route and not even attempting your dreams.

We don't know why people do what they do and its their life so let them live it.... Unless they start letting people discharge student loans in bankruptcy its not costing you anything so why do you care?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Defend the decision to go to a non-T25 for sticker

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:44 am

paratactical wrote:Um. It seems like you came up with a pretty good list of reasonable defenses already OP.

+1. OP, you invite defenses and then foreclose a lot of the more reasonable ones.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LAW1995, wild11cat and 9 guests