Violations Disclosed? If Sealed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GIGIILO

New

Violations Disclosed? If Sealed?

Post by GIGIILO » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:13 pm

If you were arrested for two violations when you were 16 (9 years ago) and the violations are sealed, do you have to disclose? Disorderly Conduct and the Unlawful Possesion of Marijuana <--- Sounds so bad. I was young and stupid..ugh

j12

Bronze

Re: Violations Disclosed? If Sealed?

Post by j12 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:14 pm

The best route it usually to just play it safe and disclose.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:48 pm

GIGIILO wrote:Disorderly Conduct and the Unlawful Possesion of Marijuana <--- Sounds so bad. I was young and stupid..ugh
Disclose. It does sound bad, like you were young and stupid, probably because you were young and stupid. Most of us were young and stupid. It's been 9 years, and they're relatively minor offenses. Law schools really won't care that much.

If you don't disclose, though, the Bar will care. A lot.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Disclose. If it makes you feel better I am in the same boat. This is my disclosure statement, I also included the case number and all pertinent details relating to the charge:

On March 15, 2000, I was in the vehicle of an acquaintance when that vehicle was pulled over and in that vehicle a small amount of marijuana was found. The officers released all four people in the car on our own recognizance issuing us each a ticket for misdemeanor possession. This is a very regrettable incident that occurred 11 years ago when I was 19 years-old. I am deeply embarrassed by this incident and can only hope that my record since that time is more reflective of my character.

Student23

New

Post by Student23 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm

From what I've heard they really do not care whatsoever about misdemeanor charges as long as they aren't dishonesty type actions. I don't think you have to disclose since they were expunged but you may do it just to be safe when your bar review thing comes around after law school. If they find out you didn't disclose something they think you should have, you're a dead duck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:21 am

Disclose, disclose, disclose, disclose, disclose. Better safe now than sorry during C&F.

GIGIILO

New

Post by GIGIILO » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to disclose, they are violations not misdemeanors though. Probably better to just be safe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”