Question about LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
biomedhawk

New

Question about LOR

Post by biomedhawk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:32 pm

So far I have one LOR locked down. It's a really good one from a professor I have done research with for the last 3 years (including summers), however I have not taken any classes with him because he teaches in one of the graduate programs.

Would it be beneficial to have the highest office of my fraternity's national component write one for me. When I became President my chapter was in quite a bit of trouble. During my time in office we doubled in size, cleaned up our organization and got back into the good graces of our alumni. Along the way I also developed a pretty good relationship with the head hancho at nationals.

Do law schools care about that stuff? Or should I keep it academic? I know LOR's have a minimal effect on the application process but I want to cover all my bases.

beezy08

Bronze

Re: Question about LOR

Post by beezy08 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:44 pm

IMO that is a good rec. Anyone on an exec board of a greek organization can attest to the fact that is essentially a job , and any advisor or nationals rep that you had a close working relationship can account for your work ethic and leadership skills. You definitely need academic ones as well, but I'd use it.

biomedhawk

New

Post by biomedhawk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

beezy08 wrote:IMO that is a good rec. Anyone on an exec board of a greek organization can attest to the fact that is essentially a job , and any advisor or nationals rep that you had a close working relationship can account for your work ethic and leadership skills. You definitely need academic ones as well, but I'd use it.
Thanks.

For the academic one, will my research professor be sufficient? Or should I try and hook another professor?

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:06 pm

biomedhawk wrote:
beezy08 wrote:IMO that is a good rec. Anyone on an exec board of a greek organization can attest to the fact that is essentially a job , and any advisor or nationals rep that you had a close working relationship can account for your work ethic and leadership skills. You definitely need academic ones as well, but I'd use it.
Thanks.

For the academic one, will my research professor be sufficient? Or should I try and hook another professor?
I would try to get another one from a professor. I am in a similar situation, and I got recs from a professor I researched with, a professor I took several classes with, and a sorority advisor I worked closely with because I felt that gave a well-rounded perspective. I believe law schools prefer academic recommendations as your principle letters, but anyone who can write a strong letter for you certainly helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”