Take a W instead of a B?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazi4law

Take a W instead of a B?

Postby crazi4law » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 am

I am a sophomore currently and my GPA is around a 3.4, but I am aiming for around the middle of the T14, so I need to get nearly all As from now on. Right now, I have not gotten off on the right track for 2 of my classes, and I fear that the best I can get is a B for both of them. Based on my situation, would you guys recommend that I drop it with a W on my transcript, or grind it out? I am thinking take the W?

My advantage is that I came into college with plenty of AP credits, and am on track to graduate a semester early if i want to.
My concerns are 1) adcom's possible negative reactions of seeing two semesters of less-than-typical amount of credits taken (only took three classes first semester) and 2) dropping the course means fewer credits that could have possibly brought my GPA up, since GPA is calculated by credits, not by semester.

Please share your advice :D

vulpixie

Re: Take a W instead of a B?

Postby vulpixie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:13 pm

If taking Ws instead of Bs will allow you to boost yourself up above a school's 75th or 50th percentiles, then take the Ws. But if it will just marginally increase your GPA (leaving you between the same percentiles you would be with straight As), then don't.

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I think that the best thing to do, would be to find out how your school's W's will appear on your lsac gpa... If it is a WF for example... Might not be a good idea. If your W's dont have an impact on your lsac gpa... Then sure, withdraw... But keep in mind you shouldn't do this too many times, and this is only your soph. year... Who is to say what is to happen the next year or the year after that?

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Yeah how many W's do you have to spare?

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Step 1: Kill the LSAT

Step 2: Image

nola051

Postby nola051 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:40 pm

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the Ws could raise some serious red flags, especially since you would have back-to-back semesters without full course loads. It might boost your GPA, but is it really that impressive to get two As when those are the only classes you completed during the semester?

You're only a sophomore. What happens if, as a junior or senior, you run into upper-level classes in which an A just isn't feasible? Would you withdraw from those classes, too?

There's nothing wrong with a B. You still have plenty of time to work on bumping up the GPA.

Your LSAT score will probably be more important, anyways. If you can get the GPA above a 3.5, with a good LSAT score and decent softs, you'd have a strong shot at a T14 school.

I say grind it out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”