Why is the LSAT so important?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Englander742

Why is the LSAT so important?

Postby Englander742 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey everyone. I'm really interested in why the LSAT is so important in law school admissions. I know the standard answer about USNWR - I'm wondering if there is anything else? What besides the rankings motivates schools to use LSAT-driven admissions?

I thought of Convenience and then also Grade inflation decreasing the relevance of UGPA. Any others?

law4vus

Re: Why is the LSAT so important?

Postby law4vus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Englander742 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm really interested in why the LSAT is so important in law school admissions. I know the standard answer about USNWR - I'm wondering if there is anything else? What besides the rankings motivates schools to use LSAT-driven admissions?

I thought of Convenience and then also Grade inflation decreasing the relevance of UGPA. Any others?

It's a standardized test that tests everyone on the same things, regardless of undergrad rigor or major. It isn't perfect, but it tests on what law schools feel are the more important skills for a law student.

The reason it is weighed so much higher than GPA is because you can major in ANYTHING as a pre-law student and the LSAT acts as the equalizer between the nuclear physics major and the basket weaving major. It's different than, say, med school admissions because med school also requires a standard set of prerequisite classes.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Englander742 wrote: What besides the rankings motivates schools to use LSAT-driven admissions?

Nothing.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Basicallywhat law4vus said. It's the closest thing they've found to an equalizer

butchcassidy

Postby butchcassidy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Also, I don't know if it's an intended purpose, but I think it weeds out some of the people not capable of putting the time and effort into succeeding in law school. If you aren't dedicated enough to pull at least a 160+ on the LSAT, you're probably not going to have the work ethic to do well at a top tier law school

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:03 pm

just take the freakin test and do well on it

butchcassidy

Postby butchcassidy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:44 pm

thederangedwang wrote:just take the freakin test and do well on it

just let the man ask his question

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:50 pm

LSAT and undergraduate GPA are both good predictors of 1L GPA, but the LSAT is a better predictor than undergraduate GPA. The LSAT alone has a correlation of .35, and undergraduate GPA alone has a correlation of .28. Together, they have a correlation of .49 with 1L GPA.

For more details, see page 61 of this study, "Identification, Development, and Validation of Predictors for Successful Lawyering" (PDF).

Englander742

Postby Englander742 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:26 am

LSAT Blog wrote:LSAT and undergraduate GPA are both good predictors of 1L GPA, but the LSAT is a better predictor than undergraduate GPA. The LSAT alone has a correlation of .35, and undergraduate GPA alone has a correlation of .28. Together, they have a correlation of .49 with 1L GPA.

For more details, see page 61 of this study, "Identification, Development, and Validation of Predictors for Successful Lawyering" (PDF).

Thanks for that! I asked the question because it is a research interest of mine. I know the rankings is the big one because of the major effects rankings have on everything else. I just thought there may also be a bigger picture.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”