State of Residency Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
89vision

Bronze

State of Residency

Post by 89vision » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:47 pm

I am going to school in Ohio, changed my state of residency from PA to OH my freshmen year (2008) so I could vote in OH. I graduate in Dec and will be living in PA from Dec until August. My permanent address is listed in PA. I am applying to state schools in OH and PA, which state do I list as my permanent residency? Would listing it as OH and then having letters sent to PA contradict listing OH?

mrtoren

Silver

Re: State of Residency

Post by mrtoren » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:40 pm

You don't have to change your residency to vote in another state. In fact, its usually fairly difficult to become a 'true' resident of another state. I voted in Colorado while attending school there, but still paid out-of-state tuition, had a permanent address in Illinois, and carried an Illinois driver's license. What state issued your driver's license? That's the state I would say you list as your residency.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:07 pm

89vision wrote:I am going to school in Ohio, changed my state of residency from PA to OH my freshmen year (2008) so I could vote in OH. I graduate in Dec and will be living in PA from Dec until August. My permanent address is listed in PA. I am applying to state schools in OH and PA, which state do I list as my permanent residency? Would listing it as OH and then having letters sent to PA contradict listing OH?
My friend attended a state school in Ohio. The school made it difficult for him to receive in state tuition status. The school did not grant him "in state" status until his second year. You may want to check with the school's financial aid office (or website) regarding what is required to achieve "in state" status.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 pm

You need to live in OH 12 months, I had a lease in OH all of last year and half of this year. I was dismissed from jury duty in PA for having a lease in OH. My drivers license is from PA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”