Issue with Recommender

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WhiteGuy5

Issue with Recommender

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:32 pm

One of my very important recommenders (who was an advisor, took two classes with, and was head of an important activity that I shined in) has still not sent her LOR forms. I gave the forms, talked to her about the letter, gave her a copy of my transcript, wrote a cover letter, and even emailed her once in awhile.

The problem is not that she doesn't want to write one (or a good one) the problem is that she is SUPER busy (this is a hallmark of her character at my school--even when she was my advisor). She does/has a few jobs and seems to be in a hurry all the time.

I got a glimpse of a LOR she wrote for me awhile back (when I first took her for a class) for a scholarship and it wasn't too stellar. I'm worried that she might delay the LOR for law school and end up sending in a revised version of that one just because she's in a hurry. It's really unfortunate because I gave her plenty of time and she is an integral part of my application.

She should have sent it out by now. Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle this moving forward? I want to apply ED for a few schools. She's not my only LOR (I have 3 others), but she's very important.

Thanks in advance.

mrtoren

Re: Issue with Recommender

Postby mrtoren » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Go forward without it. You cant force her to write it and pestering her will only produce a bad LOR.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 pm

if she liked you a lot, it'd be in by now.

Kess

Postby Kess » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Sometimes a professor who may not know you as well as her could be the better choice. Before I get flamed for saying this, let me clarify....

I asked several professors for LOR so I would have things to choose from. I had high hopes for one professor as I had worked closely with him on a project and he was a graduate from one of my top choices. He asked me to write a draft and I explained my reluctance in doing so. He wrote me a letter anyway and showed me the draft. I wasn't impressed. I asked another professor who I only had one for one class and she was a new professor. She, too, showed me the letter she had sent in and I was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: So basically what I am trying to say is, have confidence in your other recommenders. You might be in good/better shape without her letter.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Kess wrote:Sometimes a professor who may not know you as well as her could be the better choice. Before I get flamed for saying this, let me clarify....

I asked several professors for LOR so I would have things to choose from. I had high hopes for one professor as I had worked closely with him on a project and he was a graduate from one of my top choices. He asked me to write a draft and I explained my reluctance in doing so. He wrote me a letter anyway and showed me the draft. I wasn't impressed. I asked another professor who I only had one for one class and she was a new professor. She, too, showed me the letter she had sent in and I was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: So basically what I am trying to say is, have confidence in your other recommenders. You might be in good/better shape without her letter.

It just seems like I put in so much work with her...it's so disappointing. She is also an alumni from one of my top choices. Thanks for the responses so far.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:05 pm

mrtoren wrote:Go forward without it. You cant force her to write it and pestering her will only produce a bad LOR.

lulzalicious

Postby lulzalicious » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:07 pm

My bro had this same issue with one his recommenders this year, (med school apps tho lol). After the emails etc and still no action he went to meet the prof during his office hours. In the meeting he gave an update of his app process and then proceeded to ask the profs advice on his applications. Things like how best to present his research (soft's) etc. Stuff that gave the prof an opportunity to feel valued, included and integral to my bro's process.

At the end of the meeting, he left on a good note and then casually mentioned that it all seemed settled then and hed move forward as soon as all of the recs were in.

The prof sent it two days later.

Dont know if itd work for you, but some anecdotal advice/evidence is all I got :) Good luck getting her rec!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:23 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:and she is an integral part of my application.

In all honesty, she's probably not that integral. Yes, she seems like she knows you well, is important, and is an alumni of a school of interest. However, especially since it seems she writes mediocre LoRs, it's not going to have much of an effect either way.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd either forge ahead without her or find someone else to write another LoR (since you seem to already have many).
Last edited by bp shinners on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 am

In general, I don't think bothering profs for your letter is necessarily a bad thing. I had a similar issue with recommender: she took forever to send mine, but she was ACTUALLY super busy. it wasn't that she didn't like me or didn't want to write the letter. I hassled her (gently/politely, and she was always apologetic) and she sent it in eventually.

BUT, as a bunch of other posters asked, is she actually integral to your app? What's wrong with your other 3 letters? if it's that she's one of your 2 academic recs, then you should bug her. If she's not, then...maybe not so much.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”