What constitutes an academic warning?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DC_Patent_Law

What constitutes an academic warning?

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I was looking at some applications and came across the standard question "have you ever received an academic warning?" If you work on an assignment with some friends and are verbally warned not to do it again, does that count as an "academic warning"? If nothing shows up on the transcript and no action was taken (such as probation), does it still count as an academic warning? Is there any way to find out if one has received an academic warning by contacting the school or registrar's office? I heard something about a dean's certification but am not sure what it is. Thanks in advance.

Curious1

Re: What constitutes an academic warning?

Postby Curious1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:50 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I was looking at some applications and came across the standard question "have you ever received an academic warning?" If you work on an assignment with some friends and are verbally warned not to do it again, does that count as an "academic warning"? If nothing shows up on the transcript and no action was taken (such as probation), does it still count as an academic warning? Is there any way to find out if one has received an academic warning by contacting the school or registrar's office? I heard something about a dean's certification but am not sure what it is. Thanks in advance.

If you TA was just like: don't do this again--then it's fine. No record=nowarning.

If she reported this to your dean and HE verbally warned you, might depend. At my school it doesn't (I had a "conversation" with my dean regarding underage drinking and he explicit told me that did not constitute discipline for the purposes of law school).

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Curious1 wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:I was looking at some applications and came across the standard question "have you ever received an academic warning?" If you work on an assignment with some friends and are verbally warned not to do it again, does that count as an "academic warning"? If nothing shows up on the transcript and no action was taken (such as probation), does it still count as an academic warning? Is there any way to find out if one has received an academic warning by contacting the school or registrar's office? I heard something about a dean's certification but am not sure what it is. Thanks in advance.

If you TA was just like: don't do this again--then it's fine. No record=nowarning.

If she reported this to your dean and HE verbally warned you, might depend. At my school it doesn't (I had a "conversation" with my dean regarding underage drinking and he explicit told me that did not constitute discipline for the purposes of law school).

Unfortunately, it was the engineering school dean. This was really long ago (almost 10 years ago). I don't remember much but I do remember it as more of a slap on the wrist rather than a formal warning. Question is, how do I find out what it really was?

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Ask them to see your disciplinary record. I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue, but if a record exists, then you should report it.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Who do I ask? The registrar's office?

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Who do I ask? The registrar's office?

Yes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”