Experts?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bethbeth519

Experts?

Postby bethbeth519 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:24 pm

I was sitting here wondering what makes the people that post/reply to these forums experts? How can you say with certainty what law school admissions committees do/don't do, will/won't decide? Have any of you ever been on an admissions committee? Or are you just sitting around with time on your hands trying to discourage people as a whole? My guess would be the latter.

Mal Reynolds

Re: Experts?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 pm

This is a new and interesting thought. Tell me more.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:28 pm

(Virtually) no one on here claims to have expert advice. Many people do, however, have experience and data backing up what they say when providing likely admissions outcomes for people when asked. I don't even know why I'm responding to this bullshit

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Here is the knowledge you brought to this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=168142

Maybe you can learn something here.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:35 pm

bethbeth519 wrote:I was sitting here wondering what makes the people that post/reply to these forums experts? How can you say with certainty what law school admissions committees do/don't do, will/won't decide? Have any of you ever been on an admissions committee? Or are you just sitting around with time on your hands trying to discourage people as a whole? My guess would be the latter.

It's a bit "wisdom of crowds" but also, yes, take all this advice with a grain of salt. Some of it is (obviously) extreme and intended to be that way.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm

bethbeth519 wrote:I was sitting here wondering what makes the people that post/reply to these forums experts? How can you say with certainty what law school admissions committees do/don't do, will/won't decide? Have any of you ever been on an admissions committee? Or are you just sitting around with time on your hands trying to discourage people as a whole? My guess would be the latter.

Logical flaw: Presupposes only two possible answers, and that since one is not true the other must be.

Some people here have more experience with law school admissions than others. Some can be more certain than others. Nobody is actually making admissions decisions here, but you can know how something works without doing it yourself. Your argument like saying nobody here understands physics because they've never split atoms before.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:38 pm

It's the latter for me. Although I'm more procrastinating rather than sitting around.

Anyways, who are you to question us?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:47 pm

The OP does have kind of a nuanced point though. There are certain beliefs that members of this forum are socialized to believe (T14, T6, softs are negligible, etc.) and if people don't hold those beliefs everybody is quick to explain how wrong they are. The only reason I hold those beliefs is because I have heard it so much by lurking threads in my TLS formative days. TLS: victims of groupthink?

Although in defense of the widely held beliefs, most of them are based on data.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Tom Joad wrote:The OP does have kind of a nuanced point though. There are certain beliefs that members of this forum are socialized to believe (T14, T6, softs are negligible, etc.) and if people don't hold those beliefs everybody is quick to explain how wrong they are. The only reason I hold those beliefs is because I have heard it so much by lurking threads in my TLS formative days. TLS: victims of groupthink?

Although in defense of the widely held beliefs, most of them are based on data.

+1

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:41 pm

It doesn't take an expert to know that admissions committees care about your LSAC GPA and not just the years when you did well.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Seems like somebody is upset at the answers they got.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”