LoR from non-native English speaker

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigA

LoR from non-native English speaker

Postby BigA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:36 am

Hi everyone. So I've been teaching English abroad and I want to get a recommendation letter from one of my bosses who speaks pretty good English. However, it would be clear in her writing that she's not a native speaker. And there could be a number of mistakes.

Do you think admissions would view this in a negative way? If I have the letter edited, I'm afraid it might look less than authentic. They might even suspect I wrote it. Any informed opinions on this? Thanks!

Kess

Re: LoR from non-native English speaker

Postby Kess » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am

I think it would be fine so long as it is clear that you and her interacted somewhere abroad. Also, as long as the LOR speaks to what law schools are looking to see- reflection on your academic potential- then I would see no reason to worry.

Unless you think she will make some sort of egregious mistakes in her writing, I would not worry too much.

BigA

Postby BigA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 am

well, I'm definitely gonna get an LoR from her. My concern is whether I should polish up the English or just leave it as she writes it. Thanks

Kess

Postby Kess » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 am

BigA wrote:well, I'm definitely gonna get an LoR from her. My concern is whether I should polish up the English or just leave it as she writes it. Thanks

Yeah I can see how that would be a tough call. I tend to get a little paranoid with adding my own words in. I had a professor ask me to write a draft and I just decided to ask someone else instead. Sorry, I know I'm not answering your question... lol

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Have her mention she isn't a native speaker in the letter. Solves the problem imo.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:53 pm

You can also have her write in her native language and have a facullty member at a university translate and sign off on official stationary, then send the whole LOR in (original and translation).

The adcommms might like this marginally better imo but it probably isn't worth the time.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Why would they care? Shouldn't it be obvious why there are grammatical errors if it comes from somewhere in Romania or whatever?

I'm not even going to comment on the original/translation thing.

As long as they a reasonable person can read it and gather that you're not a total waste, it'll be aces. Don't sweat it.

BigA

Postby BigA » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 am

thanks. I agree, any reasonable person should be understanding of why the English isn't perfect. I'll just let her write it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”