Additional LSAT score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoPro

Additional LSAT score

Postby SoPro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 am

I took the October LSAT but am retaking in December. Aside from the December score, I nearly have everything I need for a complete application. Ultimately, I’ll be ready to apply within two weeks, aside from the Dec. score.

I’ve read that you can apply and have your application put on hold until you receive your second score.

How do I request a hold, how do I ensure that my application is actually put on hold (rather than reviewed without my second score), and are there any drawbacks to this approach, aside from not having your application reviewed earlier in the cycle?

Ginj

Re: Additional LSAT score

Postby Ginj » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:10 am

I submitted a lot of apps prior to the October administration. A lot of them held my file automatically, because I indicated on the app that I was taking in October. I also sent an e-mail to admissions at my reach schools to hold for my new LSAT score and received a response within a day.

Hope that helps.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:17 pm

SoPro wrote:I took the October LSAT but am retaking in December. Aside from the December score, I nearly have everything I need for a complete application. Ultimately, I’ll be ready to apply within two weeks, aside from the Dec. score.

I’ve read that you can apply and have your application put on hold until you receive your second score.

How do I request a hold, how do I ensure that my application is actually put on hold (rather than reviewed without my second score), and are there any drawbacks to this approach, aside from not having your application reviewed earlier in the cycle?

There should be an area on some applications that indicate you're expecting another score and to hold off on considering you until then.

There aren't really any drawbacks to this method, but there aren't many benefits, either. You don't get to 'cut the line' when your score comes in - they'll put you in the pile when you're complete just like anyone else.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Most applications have an area to fill out if you're expecting to take the LSAT again in the near future. If not, its usually automatic. To be safe, a quick email to admissions explaining who you are (with your LSAC number) and when they can expect the results, should suffice.

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:22 am

appreciate the help

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm in a similar situation (although my question is slightly different). I didn't want to start an entirely different thread so maybe I'll be able to get my question answered here.

I took the October LSAT and felt pretty strong about it. I want to apply using my October score but then also "update" my application using the December LSAT?

Can you do this or will LSAC indicate that I registered for the December test and therefore not let schools review my application with only the Oct. test? I'm just curious because overall I'm a weaker applicant (GPA: 3.5/LSAT: TBA) and believe I'd benefit more from applying earlier than retaking the December test (because I don't know that, even with extra studying, I could do better than I did on the October test).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”