(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Postby bethbeth519 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Last edited by bethbeth519 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: HELP!!!!!! Undergraduate GPA question

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:15 pm

You're probably SOL. The LSAC GPA is what they have to report to the USNWR for ranking purposes. You can write an addendum indicating the difference, but I'm not sure how much it will help. You have to have a more compelling argument than "I just dicked around" though.

All I can say is get a high LSAT score and apply to splitter friendly schools. I don't know if NU takes anyone with that low of a GPA, maybe someone else could chime in.

Postby mrtoren » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 am

The correct response is that you were a grown adult at 18 years old and should have made your own decisions. You could have either locked it and performed like most other college students or you could have refused your parents demands. You chose option C. Looking back, I'll bet you wish you could slap the shit out of your younger self, don't you? It is what it is though. You have an extremely low GPA and your best bet is an addendum that an adcomm may or may not even bother reading. Cross your fingers.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:56 am

Have you taken the LSAT yet, or any PTs?

If you really want to be a lawyer, but don't want to pay a lot to go to a school with bleak job prospects, just study your ass off for the LSAT (start with PT1, and end with the current PT in the days before you take the test, and do the bibles in between) and go for a 180. If you are URM as well, you'd probably be looking at some pretty amazing offers if you could get near mid 170s. You're definitely going to want to apply very broadly.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:59 am

I think lots of people falsely believe they need a 180 or 179 when it is a pretty tough goal for anybody no matter how smart they are, but in your case you really might want to make a 180 or 179 the goal just so adcomms will read our addendum before they toss your application.

Tom Joad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”