Semester Off

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vkgarrett

Semester Off

Postby vkgarrett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Hello There TLSers! You all have been so helpful so I'm off to bug you with another question.

I transferred colleges after my sophomore year, but I was denied acceptantance to transfer for the fall quarter becuase I had not taken an approved math class at my first college. They said that if I was able to take a math class, and pass, I would be accepted for the winter quarter. I took the math class over the summer and passed, and entered my new college in the winter (quarter). Technically, this counts as a "semester" off, but for the school I transferred to it was only a quarter. Either way, most law school apps require you to disclose if you took any time off of school. Not all of them require an "explanation" however.

Would you suggest that I write an addendum explaining the situation above? Or do you think it is unnecessary considering it was so minor and the conclusion can basically be made that I was mid transfer, and that's when I got accepted. (Of course for the ones that require an explanation I will have to do so).

Thank you!

pwyoung

Re: Semester Off

Postby pwyoung » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Did you do anything during that time?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 pm

I would explain it the same way you told us. Explanations are almost always better than not explaining

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:40 pm

State it matter-of-factly. It won't affect your cycle.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Do law school apps really ask this question? I honestly can not remember answering it and I took a full year off. Oh well.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:46 pm

shoeshine wrote:Do law school apps really ask this question? I honestly can not remember answering it and I took a full year off. Oh well.

Yes, the new apps do.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 pm

I think if you are asked to disclose any time off, you should also give an explanation, so it doesn't just look like you took time off for no reason or didn't do anything productive. I had to address this after I took a semester leave of absence to take an internship opportunity, and I addressed it in a very brief addendum. If anything, your app will look that much more thorough.

It can be extremely brief - I think mine was only two or three sentences. Just explain the basic logistical issues preventing you from enrolling in fall quarter, and be clear about the timeline. If you did anything productive - even working as a barista or whatever - include that as well. If not, still submit the addendum so the school understands that you didn't just randomly flake out of a quarter.

vkgarrett

Postby vkgarrett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Perfect, these are the exact answers I needed. I'll just describe it the way I put it above.

Yes they ask, its a tiny question on your "academics" page.

I worked full time, that information is included on my resume. However it was pretty lame, doing retail. Not sure I want to highlight my great experience folding clothes and dealing with annoying customers... haha

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I would still mention it. Something along the lines of, "During that period, I worked (specify full-time, if applicable) in retail, until I started classes full-time at School X." That way, it's clear you didn't just loaf around while you were waiting to take classes.

vkgarrett

Postby vkgarrett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Seneca wrote:I would still mention it. Something along the lines of, "During that period, I worked (specify full-time, if applicable) in retail, until I started classes full-time at School X." That way, it's clear you didn't just loaf around while you were waiting to take classes.

good plan....

vkgarrett

Postby vkgarrett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:07 pm

*updated*
Last edited by vkgarrett on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 pm

I PM'd you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”