Graduating UG in 3 years

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawSchoolGuru

Graduating UG in 3 years

Postby LawSchoolGuru » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:42 pm

How does the admissions committee view candidates who graduated a year early from UG?

Re: Graduating UG in 3 years

Postby 071816 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:52 pm

It matters not.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Most schools tend to like candidates who have some work experience. I graduated in 3 years, then I went and worked for 3 years. I think that both of those were assets to me. On the other hand, if you graduate in three years and go straight through I can't imagine it would help you, but I don't think it would hurt you either.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Why would it help? It doesn't matter whether you take three years or five.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Very subtle #humblebrag

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:10 pm

mrtoren wrote:Why would it help? It doesn't matter whether you take three years or five.

Why could it help?

Well, it could show motivation and drive. I decided I wanted to work on the Obama campaign. I took extra classes and summer classes (raising my GPA in the process) while working a near full time job.

I don't think that it on it's own would help, but if you can use it to demonstrate an ability to kick your ass into gear it can. It really all depends on the story you tell.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:12 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Very subtle #humblebrag

Yeah, because graduating from a highly mediocre undergrad in three years is what I'd choose to brag about.

ETA: Oh, if this dig isn't directed at me I withdraw the above hostility. If it is, feel free to let the hostility remain.
Last edited by thelaststraw05 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSchoolGuru

Postby LawSchoolGuru » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Haha you got me

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

Yeah, because graduating from a highly mediocre undergrad in three years is what I'd choose to brag about.

ETA: Oh, if this dig isn't directed at me I withdraw the above hostility. If it is, feel free to let the hostility remain.

Wasn't directed at you.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:12 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Most schools tend to like candidates who have some work experience. I graduated in 3 years, then I went and worked for 3 years. I think that both of those were assets to me. On the other hand, if you graduate in three years and go straight through I can't imagine it would help you, but I don't think it would hurt you either.

As someone who graduated undergrad in 3 years and went straight to law school I don't feel like it hurt my cycle, but it's hard to tell since adcomms don't communicate to people what went into them getting accepted/WLed/dinged.

One piece of advice: while I think people here get a little too adamant about taking time off between ugrad and law school and lose sight of individual circumstances and the variable factors that play into that decision, I would never recommend that somebody attend law school before they're 21. If you'll be 20 when law school starts, take a year off; law school social activities are like 90% drinking.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Most schools tend to like candidates who have some work experience. I graduated in 3 years, then I went and worked for 3 years. I think that both of those were assets to me. On the other hand, if you graduate in three years and go straight through I can't imagine it would help you, but I don't think it would hurt you either.

As someone who graduated undergrad in 3 years and went straight to law school I don't feel like it hurt my cycle, but it's hard to tell since adcomms don't communicate to people what went into them getting accepted/WLed/dinged.

One piece of advice: while I think people here get a little too adamant about taking time off between ugrad and law school and lose sight of individual circumstances and the variable factors that play into that decision, I would never recommend that somebody attend law school before they're 21. If you'll be 20 when law school starts, take a year off; law school social activities are like 90% drinking.

+1

And at least in Ann Arbor it is mostly drinking in bars that card at the door.

LawSchoolGuru

Postby LawSchoolGuru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Wasn't directed at you.

Lmao.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:03 am

I don't think it would at all matter

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:59 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Why would it help? It doesn't matter whether you take three years or five.

Why could it help?

Well, it could show motivation and drive. I decided I wanted to work on the Obama campaign. I took extra classes and summer classes (raising my GPA in the process) while working a near full time job.

I don't think that it on it's own would help, but if you can use it to demonstrate an ability to kick your ass into gear it can. It really all depends on the story you tell.

How did that work out for letters of recommendation? Did you stay in contact with professors or did you just use employers?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”