How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brobar
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:39 pm

How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby brobar » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:14 pm

I would imagine the majority of you guys and gals trying to get in to law school are pretty young... (early to mid 20's maybe?). I'm curious though how many people here are trying to get in to law school and are in their late 30s or early 40s? When I graduated HS back in 94 I had big plans to go to law school but for various reasons had to drop out after my first year of college. I ended up joining the Air Force, getting out after 6 years and doing web development for the last decade or so. I'm currently putting my wife through pharmacy school (she has less than 2 years left)... then I am wanting to go back to school for myself when she is done. She did the pharmacy school thing a little later than many. She is one of the older girls in her class and will be graduating in 2013 at the age of 34. I'm kicking around the idea of finishing what I once started but the age thing is giving me some apprehension. I mean I would be starting back from scratch at 37ish... not finishing until I was 44ish. Are any of you in the same boat... starting a law career late(r) in life? Or do you know of somebody who is? What are your thoughts or experiences?

User avatar
lulzalicious
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby lulzalicious » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Im 24 so not really the age group you are talking about, but I do know someone that was 48 and took the LSAT then did law school. He was a doctor in FL with his own practice, I think he wanted to do law because of the ridic malpractice issues doctors face.

Anyways, I think with your career background in computers it could be great for IP law or something along those lines where you need a computer bground that most law graduates don't have.

Im sure other posters on here will have better input, Im pretty new..but goodluck! :)

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:26 pm

TLS "olds" have a thread all to our decrepit selves. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047 :wink:

I would guess that most of us olds are closer to our mid-30s as we start law school (I will be 33 next fall), so that's not quite in your demographic. But that thread does speak to a lot of stuff like relocating SOs and kids, quitting jobs, selling/renting homes, etc. that the K-JD infants don't have to think about. (Damn kids.)

If I'm reading your post right, you'd have to go back and finish undergrad first, right? If so, you can probably learn a lot from TLS.
1. Undergrad school doesn't matter (as long as it's not one of the really cheesy online schools).
2. Major doesn't matter. A nuclear engineering major with a 3.4 will lose out to a basketweaving major with a 4.0.
3. GPA matters! Get as close to a 4.0 as you can. Your dropout year way back when WILL be averaged into the GPA you use to apply to law school.
4. LSAT matters most of all.

Look around this site and learn about what your numbers need to be to get into a school worth going to. A JD is NOT a ticket to success anymore--ranking, portability, job placement, location and market saturation all matter.

brobar
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby brobar » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:48 pm

lulzalicious wrote:Im 24 so not really the age group you are talking about, but I do know someone that was 48 and took the LSAT then did law school. He was a doctor in FL with his own practice, I think he wanted to do law because of the ridic malpractice issues doctors face.

Anyways, I think with your career background in computers it could be great for IP law or something along those lines where you need a computer bground that most law graduates don't have.

Im sure other posters on here will have better input, Im pretty new..but goodluck! :)

Thanks for the reply and the well wishes. I'll take all the luck and good mojo I can get. =)

rinkrat19 wrote:TLS "olds" have a thread all to our decrepit selves. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047 :wink:

I would guess that most of us olds are closer to our mid-30s as we start law school (I will be 33 next fall), so that's not quite in your demographic. But that thread does speak to a lot of stuff like relocating SOs and kids, quitting jobs, selling/renting homes, etc. that the K-JD infants don't have to think about. (Damn kids.)

If I'm reading your post right, you'd have to go back and finish undergrad first, right? If so, you can probably learn a lot from TLS.
1. Undergrad school doesn't matter (as long as it's not one of the really cheesy online schools).
2. Major doesn't matter. A nuclear engineering major with a 3.4 will lose out to a basketweaving major with a 4.0.
3. GPA matters! Get as close to a 4.0 as you can. Your dropout year way back when WILL be averaged into the GPA you use to apply to law school.
4. LSAT matters most of all.

Look around this site and learn about what your numbers need to be to get into a school worth going to. A JD is NOT a ticket to success anymore--ranking, portability, job placement, location and market saturation all matter.


Thanks a million for the link and info. Your note on #3 (drop out year from 17 years back) will have to be something I can hopefully overcome. I had a semester of so-so grades followed by a semester of incompletes so that will be something I'll have working against me. I've taking a few JC classes here and there over the years (mostly programming courses) that were all aced but you are correct that I will be starting back pretty much from square one. Funny how a little age and life experience makes taking college level courses a whole new ball game. Back when I first started, I didn't have the motivation or desire. I half-assed everything and it showed. Any courses I've taken since then I've aced because I've got priorities now and actually understand the responsibility.

Well thanks again for the info and the link. I'll start reading through that thread and see what I can pull from it.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:55 pm

brobar wrote:Thanks a million for the link and info. Your note on #3 (drop out year from 17 years back) will have to be something I can hopefully overcome. I had a semester of so-so grades followed by a semester of incompletes so that will be something I'll have working against me. I've taking a few JC classes here and there over the years (mostly programming courses) that were all aced but you are correct that I will be starting back pretty much from square one. Funny how a little age and life experience makes taking college level courses a whole new ball game. Back when I first started, I didn't have the motivation or desire. I half-assed everything and it showed. Any courses I've taken since then I've aced because I've got priorities now and actually understand the responsibility.

Well thanks again for the info and the link. I'll start reading through that thread and see what I can pull from it.
The good news is that those aced JC classes will ALSO be averaged in. :)

SOME people have had success having incomplete grades from past years retroactively withdrawn. But it probably varies a lot by school.

num1cop
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 am

Re: How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby num1cop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:27 pm

I just wanted to chime in with my situation. I will be 41 when I start law school next fall and I like you was unmotivated when I first went to college, joined the military and finished my degree at age 37 with a 3.8. Brobar, it can be done stay the course. It is of utmost importance that when you start your undergrad again, get as many As as possible and avoid any withdrawals. LSAC counts every undergrad course you take toward your LSAC gpa and they include withdrawals. Also give yourself a good 3-6 months for LSAT prep so you can score as high as possible. While in school, try to culitvate good relationships with your profs as you will need great letters of reference from them later. You are smart to start working on this now, good luck with all your future endevours and remember that there are alot of positives to being "old".

User avatar
californihuh
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am

Re: How many here are old(er) and going in to law school?

Postby californihuh » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Brobar, you're not alone. Although I don't come close to your age category (I'll be 25 when <if> I get to LS), but I certainly understand where you're coming from. Being in the military though, you probably have heard the saying, "It's never too late to start your education."

Scroll down a few topics and there's going to be a topic labeled, "Military service members assemble" or something. Check it out; there might be a few guys/gals who can sympathize with you. It'll be awesome if we can sticky that post, as the veterans can help each other out with suggestions on our applications (what awards to put in, experiences, etc). Heaven knows I'll need it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], patrickkpaul, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests