Question about EDing, retaking, and scholarships

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fate to Fatal

Question about EDing, retaking, and scholarships

Postby Fate to Fatal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm in a bit of a bind about what to do, and would greatly appreciate any advice. I currently have a 3.98/166 (first take). The 166 was a decent-sized underperformance, as I had a 174 PT average going in. I had planned to retake in October, but withdrew at the last second after a severe bout of insomnia. I still have two takes left, but the thought of putting all my eggs in one basket for the Dec. test makes me nervous, and though waiting until next cycle may seem like a smart move, several considerations make this option less-than-ideal for me (I'm already 4.5 years out of UG, funding for my current job runs out this summer, and most positions that I'm qualified for require a 2 year commitment).

Michigan is my top choice. They claim that ED admits are evaluated for merit aid on the same grounds as RD admits. My question: if I apply ED to Mich with my current numbers, am accepted, and then re-take the LSAT in Dec. and/or Feb. and come back with a score that would have made me competitive for scholarship money RD, will I actually be awarded similar funds as someone accepted RD with the same numbers? Basically, can I take them at their word that ED and RD admits are evaluated on the same grounds?

Fate to Fatal

Re: Question about EDing, retaking, and scholarships

Postby Fate to Fatal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Bump. Has anyone retaken the LSAT after an ED acceptance in hopes of getting scholarship $, not just at Michigan but anywhere? How did it pan out?

Yeshia90

Re: Question about EDing, retaking, and scholarships

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Dude, if you retake to a 174, your PT average, you have a good shot at HYS. Don't ruin that GPA and your obvious intelligence by ending up at UVA or UM. They're great schools, but you have a chance to go to a superelite one. Retaking in December gets your stuff in late, of course, and I understand why you wouldn't want to wait a year...but you owe it to yourself in the long term.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”