Graduated College in 2 Years + WE--how to package?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fishtails

Graduated College in 2 Years + WE--how to package?

Postby fishtails » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:31 am

I went through a top flagship state school on an accelerated timeline due to financial reasons and have been working professionally 1-2 years in a large company since. On one hand, I want to note that my cumulative GPA isn't reflective of my full potential because of additional course load and working part-time. On the other, I don't want age/lack of college experience make me seem immature/too young. Though I'm thinking that my job experience may mitigate that?

How do you think I should best package this?

Thanks!

ph14

Re: Graduated College in 2 Years + WE--how to package?

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:58 pm

fishtails wrote:I went through a top flagship state school on an accelerated timeline due to financial reasons and have been working professionally 1-2 years in a large company since. On one hand, I want to note that my cumulative GPA isn't reflective of my full potential because of additional course load and working part-time. On the other, I don't want age/lack of college experience make me seem immature/too young. Though I'm thinking that my job experience may mitigate that?

How do you think I should best package this?

Thanks!

Hmm, this is a little bit tricky. Normally graduating a couple of years early can be a slight turn-off to adcomms for maturity reasons, but your work experience should mitigate this concern. If you aren't touching on it in your PS, i'd put something in the space some schools give you "for any additional information" that you want the school to know, or in a brief addendum. Explain pretty much what you said here, but don't expect that it will help overcome your GPA at all.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Get a really good score on the LSAT.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

It's excessive college experience that makes people seem immature, not a shortened college experience. If you've already been working and supporting yourself post-graduation for a year now, law schools aren't going to view you as too immature because of that.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:It's excessive college experience that makes people seem immature, not a shortened college experience. If you've already been working and supporting yourself post-graduation for a year now, law schools aren't going to view you as too immature because of that.

You also earn maturity points for having worked part-time on top of the accelerated course-load.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”