Fordham

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jewbacca05

Fordham

Postby Jewbacca05 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Alright I was wondering if any of you might have some insight as to what my chances are in getting into Fordham Law School. I go to William Paterson University (small state school) and have a 3.3 GPA. I scored well on the LSAT receiving a 168. I interned at the Office of Attorney General in Washington DC this past summer and work as a student ambassador on campus, not to mention I was a waiter for 6 years. Do you think my internship, GPA, and LSAT score will help in anyway? Thanks!

OnceUponAMemo

Re: Fordham

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Above median LSAT, below median GPA, LSAT > GPA, so I think you have a good shot. Write a why Fordham essay, go on a tour/let admissions know you are interested and apply early.

Good Luck.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:36 pm

I agree with Memo: the LSAT is a plus but the GPA will hurt you. Be ready to apply the minute the application is available. Either write a "why Fordham" or work it into your PS. Make yourself known to admissions and show your interest. Oh, and APPLY EARLY. (Also? I don't think the waitering experience is going to help you, but the time with the AG might. :wink: ) Best of luck!

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Just by looking at LSN, you're in good shape.

Jewbacca05

Postby Jewbacca05 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks you all have been more than helpful. I'm particularly interested in entering business with my law degree. I believe that the skills you acquire in law school are beneficial to a wide range of subjects. Do any of you happen to know what schools are good for graduating law school students entering businesses?

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Jewbacca05 wrote:Thanks you all have been more than helpful. I'm particularly interested in entering business with my law degree. I believe that the skills you acquire in law school are beneficial to a wide range of subjects. Do any of you happen to know what schools are good for graduating law school students entering businesses?

If you are interested in business, get an MBA. A JD is not a general purpose degree - that's a myth.

Even if you want to work as in-house counsel for a corporation, you will need a few years experience working for a firm first.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Jewbacca05 wrote:Thanks you all have been more than helpful. I'm particularly interested in entering business with my law degree. I believe that the skills you acquire in law school are beneficial to a wide range of subjects. Do any of you happen to know what schools are good for graduating law school students entering businesses?

Get a business degree from NU.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”