Free-man (and lovely ladies)creative type waiting for oct 24

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluesplitter

Free-man (and lovely ladies)creative type waiting for oct 24

Postby bluesplitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Hey guys,

It seems that we need to have a thread that combines the creative and freethinking people that come in the mold of strait hosses like Steve Jobs, who will talk about what's going on while we wait for our Scores.

We all know we are just going to law school to ride out this recession in school, while we are able to push the limits of our bohemian lifestyle chugging away beer while laying down the law fro the next 3-4 years.

We good, we know it, and we here to share.

(cause all the other threads are dominated by nerdy future prosecutors who dont know what Mathew McConaughey was talking about in Dazed and confused about just strait "livin, l.i.v.i.n")

bluesplitter

Re: Free-man (and lovely ladies)creative type waiting for oct 24

Postby bluesplitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 pm

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Guess I'll be the first to respond to the OP's prompt. I double-majored in History and Philosophy at an average state school after my freshman year at a T10 LAC, which I hated with a passion. Although an inferior school, State-U made me develop much more as an intellectual, because I was less complacent. At the LAC, I was content to do jack shit extracurricularly, with the exception of drinking myself to sleep. It's not that I don't enjoy the prestige game (FWIW, I got into Yale for undergrad but turned it down for the scholly at the LAC), but I think I've come to realize how little it matters to the constitution of reality. Let's admit it, we set up institutions like Harvard so that we don't feel as bad about the fucked-up societal decisions that we have made and will make as a collective. Even if we didn't kill Lincoln, Gandhi, JFK, MLK, or John Lennon, we've allowed ourselves to live in a society that justifies its gun fetish with recourse to the 2nd amendment. We tacitly accept that our "liberties" are worth the lives of a few great people. And I'm not even talking about the personal tragedies families have suffered at the hands of firearms. I'm merely wondering what society would look like if such people were not cut down in their prime and had a chance to effect the change that is so sorely needed. Perhaps going to a prestigious law school is just my way of cloistering myself from a system that I feel doesn't represent me. I think it's telling that several of my friends and I have, since the election of Obama, feared for his life, and, needless to say, not because of threats from al-Qaeda.

P.S. OK, Gandhi may not have been in his "prime" age-wise, but the point remains.
Last edited by anewaphorist on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Oh dear.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:51 pm

I see where this is headed.

This needs to combined with the F.A. thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”