How long LSAC is currently taking to process letters? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Redclh

New

Re: How long LSAC is currently taking to process letters?

Post by Redclh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:40 am

Had one sent on 10/6, was in the system on 10/12. Somehow even better than my first one, sent 9/5 but not in until 9/22.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:06 am

Redclh wrote:Had one sent on 10/6, was in the system on 10/12. Somehow even better than my first one, sent 9/5 but not in until 9/22.
I think they hire temporary help during the app season, September is probably too early for the temps to be there yet.

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 pm

One of my recommenders told me she mailed it on October 10 (i.e. Tuesday) and it's already been processed by LSAC (Status date:today)

I was reading this forum before she sent it and was worried. I am pleasantly surprised and hope you guys have the same luck :)

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:24 pm

erikjc wrote:Does anyone have any info on current processing time for faxed letters?

For me it was less than five business days...fax is the way to go, I asked my recommenders to fax and mail just to be safe.

rise128

New

Post by rise128 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:25 pm

nshapkar wrote:
erikjc wrote:Does anyone have any info on current processing time for faxed letters?

For me it was less than five business days...fax is the way to go, I asked my recommenders to fax and mail just to be safe.
They must have put a note on my account or something. My prof faxed the rec today at 2 and by 8 it was up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PersuasiveCharm

New

Post by PersuasiveCharm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 am

citygirl000 wrote:i have the same issue - did any of you get it resolved by just calling LSAC? my letter was sent mid-September and still not in my account...
Oh wow...That's seriously tough. Sorry. Has it been processed yet?

PersuasiveCharm

New

Post by PersuasiveCharm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Hey all! Just thought I would update to help give others an idea of the different time variations... I sent my transcript in for one day rush delivery on the 5th, and it has posted on LSAC today the 14th. Good luck to the rest of you.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:40 pm

As long as the LOR has been sent to LSAC and is being processed, can I still send in an application that would use that letter? For example, if the LOR is sent at the end of this week and I send in my EA app for Cornell before the Nov. 1st deadline, will they still accept it?

PersuasiveCharm

New

Post by PersuasiveCharm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:09 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:As long as the LOR has been sent to LSAC and is being processed, can I still send in an application that would use that letter? For example, if the LOR is sent at the end of this week and I send in my EA app for Cornell before the Nov. 1st deadline, will they still accept it?
Depends... If Cornell requires 2 letters of recommendation, and you only have 1 in, your application will not be complete. You have to meet all of the requirements in order for them to receive your application. Without meeting all of your requirements your report will not be sent. Make sense? You can send the application anytime that you want, but it will not be complete if Cornell requires that letter as a necessity. If I were you, I would have the LOR faxed....So you're not stuck waiting for it to be processed. It seems that it's faster that way. But either way I am pretty sure it will be posted to your LSAC account by November 1st.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:31 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:As long as the LOR has been sent to LSAC and is being processed, can I still send in an application that would use that letter? For example, if the LOR is sent at the end of this week and I send in my EA app for Cornell before the Nov. 1st deadline, will they still accept it?
It has to be in by Nov 1st, complete by the 15th. Submit your app and LSAC will update/complete it as soon as it process your letter.

ljames152

New

Post by ljames152 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 am

I recently got in touch with a letter writer to determine if he had finished a letter for me. Turns out he sent it off a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up in my lsac profile yet. At what point should I maybe contact lsac?

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

ljames152 wrote:I recently got in touch with a letter writer to determine if he had finished a letter for me. Turns out he sent it off a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up in my lsac profile yet. At what point should I maybe contact lsac?
I would contact them. They say 7-10 days for processing once it is received, so a few weeks would worry me. My last one took 9 total.

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:09 pm

beezy08 wrote:
ljames152 wrote:I recently got in touch with a letter writer to determine if he had finished a letter for me. Turns out he sent it off a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up in my lsac profile yet. At what point should I maybe contact lsac?
I would contact them. They say 7-10 days for processing once it is received, so a few weeks would worry me. My last one took 9 total.
This same thing is happening to me. My prof said he sent mine two weeks ago - nothing yet. Funny too because I had one that was sent after that and it has been processed already. Called LSAC and they basically said there was nothing they could do

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ljames152

New

Post by ljames152 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:29 pm

kingjones59 wrote:
beezy08 wrote:
This same thing is happening to me. My prof said he sent mine two weeks ago - nothing yet. Funny too because I had one that was sent after that and it has been processed already. Called LSAC and they basically said there was nothing they could do

Did they suggest you wait a little longer before maybe having it resent, or is 2 weeks plus within their current turn around time? Definitely weird.

keldrian

New

Post by keldrian » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 am

Two of my professors basically sent their recommendations out on the same day around Sep 30th.
One was processed in 4 days, the other took 3 weeks. I have no idea what caused such a difference even though they were sent out from the same postal office on the same day.
So if you're worried since you're stuff hasn't been processed yet, it simply may be the result of your letter getting shoved into an unfortunate pile....

erikjc

Bronze

Post by erikjc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:51 am

keldrian wrote:Two of my professors basically sent their recommendations out on the same day around Sep 30th.
One was processed in 4 days, the other took 3 weeks. I have no idea what caused such a difference even though they were sent out from the same postal office on the same day.
So if you're worried since you're stuff hasn't been processed yet, it simply may be the result of your letter getting shoved into an unfortunate pile....
I had the same experience in September. Two letters were sent within a day of each other, roughly equidistant from Newtown, PA. One took three business days, including mail time, the other took three weeks. Hopefully they become a bit more consistent during the rush period...

srrrrh

Bronze

Post by srrrrh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:17 pm

all but one of my transcripts have been processed (sent october 4; one processed the 6th and the other the 14th...still waiting on the third) and my first LOC was mailed friday and processed today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ljames152

New

Post by ljames152 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Emailed lsac and got the following response:
Thank you for your inquiry to LSAC:

Letters of recommendation are processed in approximately 7 to 10 business days after they are received by LSAC, and will be entered into your account when the processing is complete.  Because of the volume of letters received by LSAC, we are unable to check the status of a letter until it is processed.

If you are concerned that your letter was never received by LSAC, your recommender may resend their signed letter and completed form.

LSAC does not recommend faxing because the image of the letter is not always clear, and the barcode on the form can be distorted. Either of these problems can cause a significant delay in processing. If faxed documents are clear they will be accepted; however there is no guarantee.  If your recommender decides to fax the letter and form to LSAC the fax number is 215-504-1444.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 pm

My buddy faxed two in today, both processed same day within maybe 4 hours?

D:

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Submitted mine by fax, processed same day.

oakinwind

New

Post by oakinwind » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 am

Does the letter status change to "received" once it is processed?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:51 pm

oakinwind wrote:Does the letter status change to "received" once it is processed?
Yes, and you'll get a confirmation email that the letter is now on LSAC's website.

erikjc

Bronze

Post by erikjc » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:Submitted mine by fax, processed same day.
What time of day did you fax it? Do you think there's any difference between faxing after hours and faxing during business hours?

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:56 pm

erikjc wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:Submitted mine by fax, processed same day.
What time of day did you fax it? Do you think there's any difference between faxing after hours and faxing during business hours?
My teacher faxed it and I'm nearly 100% sure it was mid-day, business hours.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:03 am

My professor sent one 10/15 and I have yet to hear anything back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”