The Skinny on Deans 'Admissions 101' Session?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
freddie

The Skinny on Deans 'Admissions 101' Session?

Postby freddie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 am

One such session was held yesterday evening in NYC (which a work commitment forced me to forgo). Can anyone who attended last night's event, or any of the other 'Admissions 101' sessions, share some of the knowledge they gleaned? The event description (below) makes it sound like it might have been very informative - I suspect other TLSers could benefit from getting the low-down as well!

"Join deans of admission from the University of Chicago, the University of Michigan, and the University of Pennsylvania law schools for a realistic look at how applications are reviewed. Panelists and student participants will debate the merits of actual law school applications to select the best. You'll learn what works and what doesn't in the competitive law school admissions process."

Thanks!

mrtoren

Re: The Skinny on Deans 'Admissions 101' Session?

Postby mrtoren » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Its more of a theatrical performance than reality. You know they talked about the 'importance' of character and background in weighing the application...in reality, its goes like this: High LSAT? High GPA?...URM?......................................................And oh yeah, anything else?

theadvancededit

Re: The Skinny on Deans 'Admissions 101' Session?

Postby theadvancededit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:04 pm

mrtoren wrote:Its more of a theatrical performance than reality. You know they talked about the 'importance' of character and background in weighing the application...in reality, its goes like this: High LSAT? High GPA?...URM?......................................................And oh yeah, anything else?

That is certainly true... but if you're head to head with someone with similar stats, then the rest of your app does matter. If not, "I got this I got this I got this" ad infinitum would be an acceptable PS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”