Taking a "broad" diversity of courses: Does this rly matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SeaDove28

Taking a "broad" diversity of courses: Does this rly matter?

Postby SeaDove28 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 am

Other than my lower-division general ed requirements in the first two years, 70% of all my last two years of UG courses are going to be courses in my major (which is unfortunately is not considered by many as a "rigorous one"). 20% will be Economics (my minor).

So the question: In all honesty if one has a "lack of varied course selection" will it hurt him/her much? Or is it really just about raw LSAC GPA, even if someone chose to take only the easiest courses? (I don't plan on this.)

ahduth

Re: Taking a "broad" diversity of courses: Does this rly matter?

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:22 am

SeaDove28 wrote:Other than my lower-division general ed requirements in the first two years, 70% of all my last two years of UG courses are going to be courses in my major (which is unfortunately is not considered by many as a "rigorous one"). 20% will be Economics (my minor).

So the question: In all honesty if one has a "lack of varied course selection" will it hurt him/her much? Or is it really just about raw LSAC GPA, even if someone chose to take only the easiest courses? (I don't plan on this.)

Law schools do not care one iota about what courses you take. Hard science majors are required to pass the USPTO bar I guess? I'm the wrong person to ask about that.

Course selection and major have no impact on admissions.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

Outside of core classes, almost every single one of my classes was in biology or chemistry. It had no negative impact on my application cycle whatsoever.

On my sanity, however...

SeaDove28

Postby SeaDove28 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:36 am

Thanks ahduth and bp shinners.

Any other additional thoughts on this topic?

Before posting I had read this: http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/faq.html, specifically the brief paragraph "What is the best 'pre-law' curriculum?" and that's where these concerns began in the first place.
Last edited by SeaDove28 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:54 pm

"The Admissions Committee looks for a showing of thorough learning in a field of your choice, such as history, economics, government, philosophy, mathematics, science, literature or the classics (and many others), rather than a concentration in courses given primarily as vocational training."

That's the key phrase in that paragraph. They don't want to see someone who went to a technical school for a Bachelor's.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:49 pm

"The Admissions Committee looks for a showing of thorough learning in a field of your choice, such as history, economics, government, philosophy, mathematics, science, literature or the classics (and many others), rather than a concentration in courses given primarily as vocational training."

That's the key phrase in that paragraph. They don't want to see someone who went to a technical school for a Bachelor's.

Regardless of whatever BS they post on their website, what they want to see is a high GPA and a high LSAT. That's it.

anstone1988

Postby anstone1988 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:01 pm

nealric wrote:

Regardless of whatever BS they post on their website, what they want to see is a high GPA and a high LSAT. That's it.

It is Harvard; it considers more than GPA and LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”