Page 1 of 1

Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:45 am
by gocats1
I was written up my freshman year for being in a room where alcohol was being consumed (pretty lame thing to get in trouble for), and am not sure if I should note this on the conduct verification portion of my applications. The only thing I had to do was meet with a dorm supervisor who basically told me I didn't really do anything that bad and that there was nothing else I would need to do. I called the student conduct office this week and the person I spoke to said they do have a record of this in a temporary file, however he said that it would not be sent to law schools. Apparently the university policy is that conduct that ends up getting you suspended or expelled will be reported to third parties and results in a permanent file, while anything in a temporary file isn't reported to third parties unless required by law (like if it was subpoenaed or there was a court order). I assume this means I do not have to disclose this, however most of the conduct related posts I have seen on here seemed to be minor issues like mine, which everyone said to report. So, should I report this? It seems like there is no way a school would ever find this information out, and it would obviously be preferable to check the no box, but I want to make sure.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:24 am
by ahduth
gocats1 wrote:I was written up my freshman year for being in a room where alcohol was being consumed (pretty lame thing to get in trouble for), and am not sure if I should note this on the conduct verification portion of my applications. The only thing I had to do was meet with a dorm supervisor who basically told me I didn't really do anything that bad and that there was nothing else I would need to do. I called the student conduct office this week and the person I spoke to said they do have a record of this in a temporary file, however he said that it would not be sent to law schools. Apparently the university policy is that conduct that ends up getting you suspended or expelled will be reported to third parties and results in a permanent file, while anything in a temporary file isn't reported to third parties unless required by law (like if it was subpoenaed or there was a court order). I assume this means I do not have to disclose this, however most of the conduct related posts I have seen on here seemed to be minor issues like mine, which everyone said to report. So, should I report this? It seems like there is no way a school would ever find this information out, and it would obviously be preferable to check the no box, but I want to make sure.


So, to clarify: you have an ethics violation you'd like to not disclose?

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 am
by sarahh
Yes, you should disclose it. Lying to the worst thing you can do. Even if the school does not find out, the bar might find out you lied on your school application when you are doing your character and fitness examination.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:09 am
by lawschoolgiant
Your school's policy not to report, does not affect your obligation to do so. They will not care, unless you have multiple alcohol violations, i.e., DUI or other related arrests. I reported a similar incident and my school had absolutely no record of the incident at all. DISCLOSE ALL or face the proposition of the Bar not admitting you.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 am
by lawschoolgiant
I just want to add that you are an idiot and should not be an attorney. Any client is going to be damaged by your corner cutting, lack of candor, and surreptitious nature. Learn some professionalism and build some character. Step up and take full responsibility for your actions.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 am
by AspiringAcademic
lawschoolgiant wrote:I just want to add that you are an idiot and should not be an attorney. Any client is going to be damaged by your corner cutting, lack of candor, and surreptitious nature. Learn some professionalism and build some character. Step up and take full responsibility for your actions.

Interesting perspective you have there. Dog just die or something?

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:52 am
by bp shinners
If law schools cared about people getting caught drinking in undergrad, there would be a surprising dearth of attorneys in this country. Disclose it - it won't affect you in any way.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am
by Curious1
sarahh wrote:Yes, you should disclose it. Lying to the worst thing you can do. Even if the school does not find out, the bar might find out you lied on your school application when you are doing your character and fitness examination.


This is pretty stupid.

I have a similar situation--my school required that I meet with the dean and I went to a session of counseling. But it was strictly kept in-house with no records at all.

I asked my undergraduate dean and he told me with absolutely certainty that it does not constitute "discipline" and that I would not have to report it. Answer the question honestly, but only answer it to the extent that it requires.

if it asks "have you ever been disciplined?" go down to your dean's office and ASK whether what happened to you constitutes discipline. HE would know.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:25 am
by 03121202698008
Curious1 wrote:
sarahh wrote:Yes, you should disclose it. Lying to the worst thing you can do. Even if the school does not find out, the bar might find out you lied on your school application when you are doing your character and fitness examination.


This is pretty stupid.

I have a similar situation--my school required that I meet with the dean and I went to a session of counseling. But it was strictly kept in-house with no records at all.

I asked my undergraduate dean and he told me with absolutely certainty that it does not constitute "discipline" and that I would not have to report it. Answer the question honestly, but only answer it to the extent that it requires.

if it asks "have you ever been disciplined?" go down to your dean's office and ASK whether what happened to you constitutes discipline. HE would know.


This is very different than OPs situation. If your school says you weren't disciplined, you weren't. The school saying they won't tell is not the same thing and doesn't alleviate you of responsibility to tell.

Re: Conduct question

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:37 pm
by gocats1
Okay thanks for your help, it sounds like I should go ahead and disclose it. I posted this question on here precisely because I wanted to be ethical and truthful, but did not want to report something that did not need to be reported. I am not trying hide anything or lie about it as some of you are implying. Also, Lawschoolgiant, I find your comment ironic, as it was probably the least professional thing I have found on this site.