PLEASE HELP URGENT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tds17

PLEASE HELP URGENT

Postby tds17 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:13 am

Hello, I am a 21 yr old recently graduated Econ major from Pitt with a minor in Spanish. I had a 3.4 going out of college and I prepped extremely heavily for the October LSAT. Bought all the books, too all the practice tests; I really laid it all down. Unfortunately, my brother was tragically shot multiple times in the chest about a week before my LSAT's this past Saturday. He has since survived, but the whole thing has taken quite a toll on me and when I took the test on Saturday, I could feel as if my brain wasn't completely there. This, despite the fact that I knew how important this test was, I had been prepping for months and I knew all the material, was getting 165- 167's consistently on practice tests. The day of the LSAT, the first section I just cramped up, then recovered for the last four. I am not sure how I did as the experimental is not known, but I know that I could do better if given another chance. My question is this: Should I cancel my score, for fear of it being low? Or should I just have it be released, then on the chance that it is pretty bad, I can take the test again, improve my score, and provide an explanation in my addendum or personal statement outlining the events leading up to my test. Is this viable? What is my best option moving forward? Also, I think the deadline to cancel is Friday, so I need help ASAP. Thank you so much.

Nestico87

Re: PLEASE HELP URGENT

Postby Nestico87 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 am

I am so sorry to hear about your brother, and I hope he continues to recover well.

In my opinion, you should only cancel if you are nearly positive you scored absolutely horribly, in your case below a 155. However, it doesn't sound like that is the case. Personally, I would keep the score and retake in December if necessary. Also, I might be wrong, but maybe if you do choose to retake in December and score a lot better, an addendum to your applications explaining your situation may be wise.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:20 am

I pretty much agree with the above poster. I usually only think people should cancel if they know or are pretty sure that they bombed. You seem confident that you didn't do your best (which is understandable) but not positive that it went horribly. I think I'd keep the score and retake/add addendum if needed.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:28 am

Holy Jesus we have the same Avatar.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 am

Cancel and retake.

tds17

Postby tds17 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:57 am

I think that I am just going to let it ride and see the score I get. If it is really bad, then I can just show a huge improvement on the December Test and explain what happened. As far as the guy who said cancel and re-take, can you provide an explanation? Thank you to all who have responded; it means a lot.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:10 pm

tds17 wrote:Or should I just have it be released, then on the chance that it is pretty bad, I can take the test again, improve my score, and provide an explanation in my addendum or personal statement outlining the events leading up to my test. Is this viable?

Yes it is, and is probably the best option for you right now. Best of luck with everything.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”