admit/reject pile

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Schang1

admit/reject pile

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:20 pm

I just read something on this link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

"There is no guarantee that an addendum will get read even if you take the time write it. The admissions committee may not get past your PS, or they may not even get past your GPA/LSAT score, before deciding to place your application in the reject pile. Such is life, and life is sad sometimes, but there's nothing you can do to change that outcome. You could have the greatest reason for attending X Law School in the world, and your addendum may never get read."

Is this true? Does the admissions committee really not read the whole file if GPA/LSAT is below median??? I attended a kaplan event several weeks ago in which the deans of UVA, Michigan, UCLA, GWU came and spoke -- but they said they spend about 5 minutes on everyone's files.. so doesn't that mean they read everything in those 5 minutes? I think it's screwed up if they don't your PS, letters of rec, addenda after noticing that you're way below the school's medians.... can anybody confirm this? :shock:

Mal Reynolds

Re: admit/reject pile

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Does it really matter whether or not they look at it before they reject you? They'll probably check your file to see if you have anything compelling that would make them consider admitting you below medians. More than likely they're not going to spend all that much time on your file unless you convince them pretty quickly with numbers or your softs that you're worth their time. I don't know of it's as much of a tragedy as you make it out though.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Does it really matter whether or not they look at it before they reject you? They'll probably check your file to see if you have anything compelling that would make them consider admitting you below medians. More than likely they're not going to spend all that much time on your file unless you convince them pretty quickly with numbers or your softs that you're worth their time. I don't know of it's as much of a tragedy as you make it out though.

but in order for them to know of the "softs" wouldn't they have to read through my PS and resume? :|

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Schang1 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Does it really matter whether or not they look at it before they reject you? They'll probably check your file to see if you have anything compelling that would make them consider admitting you below medians. More than likely they're not going to spend all that much time on your file unless you convince them pretty quickly with numbers or your softs that you're worth their time. I don't know of it's as much of a tragedy as you make it out though.

but in order for them to know of the "softs" wouldn't they have to read through my PS and resume? :|

I'm summing this up from an interview I read with one of the deans, I think Dean Asha, but I'm not certain. Basically, if your numbers are too low, you need something extraordinary of a soft. I'm sure they glance through the resume (if it's one of those app-saving softs, you'd be able to see it quickly). Your PS isn't going to cover a soft that would make up for it. PS only helps when you're borderline, not in the auto-ding pile. 5 minutes isn't going to be thorough reading of an application. Take all of your application material (pretend you have an LOR) and see how long it takes someone to read all of it thoroughly.

medialoop

Postby medialoop » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 pm

First of all, by definition, half of the people admitted at any school are "below median." That's what the median is... it's the middle. So if you're "below median," that doesn't mean your file isn't going to get read. From what I've heard, including from former deans who don't have much reason to lie, at most of the top schools, all files at least get skimmed (regardless of numbers). Like everyone else has said though, if your numbers are TOO low (say, below the 25th percentile), you'll probably get a less-thorough reading and need something extraordinary to overcome that. But again, by definition, 25% of the people admitted are below the 25th percentile mark, so it does happen.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:51 pm

medialoop wrote:But again, by definition, 25% of the people admitted are below the 25th percentile mark, so it does happen.

Below A 25th percentile, not necessarily (or even, I would say, likely) both.

I have to agree with others, based on my conversations with admissions officers. Your numbers are going to create a heavy presumption of either admit, reject, or consider. If you're in the reject pile, depending on how close you are to consider, you'll get a quick skim to see if there's anything in there that would make them reconsider. Same with the admits to see if there's any reason to reject. The considers will get looked at more closely. But, for the most part, an addendum isn't going to save you if your numbers aren't high enough. They'll just mitigate a weak factor for someone who made the consider pile.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:31 pm

medialoop wrote:First of all, by definition, half of the people admitted at any school are "below median." That's what the median is... it's the middle. So if you're "below median," that doesn't mean your file isn't going to get read. From what I've heard, including from former deans who don't have much reason to lie, at most of the top schools, all files at least get skimmed (regardless of numbers). Like everyone else has said though, if your numbers are TOO low (say, below the 25th percentile), you'll probably get a less-thorough reading and need something extraordinary to overcome that. But again, by definition, 25% of the people admitted are below the 25th percentile mark, so it does happen.

think through this a little more thoroughly

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:35 pm

bp shinners wrote:
medialoop wrote:But again, by definition, 25% of the people admitted are below the 25th percentile mark, so it does happen.

Below A 25th percentile, not necessarily (or even, I would say, likely) both.

This is the key part. If you're below 25% in one set of #s you better damn well be above median or even 75% on the other set.

Edit: This is why certain schools love splitters. Schools can get both medians up but not give out a ton of scholarship money. Sure they would love the 4.0/178 applicant, but a 2.x/17x applicant can get that LSAT median up just as well.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Yes, I'm sure if you're in a reasonable range they'll look at your full app... but say you're a 2.4 gpa / 158 LSAT, does a T14 school really have to read everything?

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Yes, I'm sure if you're in a reasonable range they'll look at your full app... but say you're a 2.4 gpa / 158 LSAT, does a T14 school really have to read everything?

I have a 3.4/160 from june but retook the oct and not sure how i did.. I was worried that my gpa would make me in the automatic reject pile in T20 schools :(

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 pm

You can be competitive with a 170. ;)

Per the original thread, be wary of the "below median" stuff. If you are below in stat, you had better be above in another.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Schang1 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Yes, I'm sure if you're in a reasonable range they'll look at your full app... but say you're a 2.4 gpa / 158 LSAT, does a T14 school really have to read everything?

I have a 3.4/160 from june but retook the oct and not sure how i did.. I was worried that my gpa would make me in the automatic reject pile in T20 schools :(

your GPA isn't low enough to be auto reject if your retake is 168 or higher. But right now you are the kind of candidate who won't get a look because both your stats are too low.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:34 pm

thanks for the great feedback, guys! I really appreciate it! =) I think I had this "thought" that if you are below 25th, you still have a "chance" -- but I didn't know that if you are below "median" for both stats, it will be a long road. Great to know!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”