Addendum help!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jpal13

Addendum help!

Postby jpal13 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:43 pm

I think (hope) I am a pretty good candidate (3.7, waiting on Oct LSAT but should be 170 good, got 165 in June) but check this out and see if it should be on addendum or not included at all:

Addendum

On my transcript from XXX University it states that I graduated in 2003 even though I had completed all the requirements and coursework in 2002. This is due to some mix up at the registrar’s office. I was not able to attend my graduation ceremony and I wrote a letter to that effect assuming I would be mailed my diploma. I never received it and early in 2003, I requested a copy of my diploma. I am not sure of the month but I was eventually delivered a copy of my diploma saying I graduated in 2003. I later found that my transcript also reflected a 2003 graduation date when I was applying to graduate school. Please know that all requirements for graduation were met in 2002.

Also, not reflected on my resume is that I was a waitress after graduating from XXX University for 3 years. While working at this restaurant I also helped to coordinate weddings at the venue, XXX in XXX. I do not typically include this on my professional resume but I do feel this experience was beneficial to my self –development. I learned the value of sales skills, hard work and constructive criticism. Due to my mother’s tenuous health, I eventually left XXX to return to my hometown of XXX where I began my gradate studies.

rinkrat19

Re: Addendum help!

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm

The grad date addendum sounds ok, but I'd just put the waitressing job on your resume. Putting it in an addendum seems weird. Either it's worthy of being mentioned, or it's not. And this isn't a "professional" resume, it's a resume for applying to law schools.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:57 pm

I see your point, but I really feel like putting a waitressing job on a resume whether it is professional or not is out of place. Hey I am willing to say I might be wrong but my opinion is that reading an extra 3 sentences on an addendum is not that bad and a more appropriate place than my resume.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm

jpal13 wrote:I see your point, but I really feel like putting a waitressing job on a resume whether it is professional or not is out of place. Hey I am willing to say I might be wrong but my opinion is that reading an extra 3 sentences on an addendum is not that bad and a more appropriate place than my resume.
Do whatever you want, but I've seen a lot of perfectly good law school applicant resumes with waitressing on them. I've never seen an addendum about a job. Addenda are to explain something negative or something that could be misinterpreted, like a break in your education, a semester of bad grades, or a brush with the law. They're not a resume postscript. You don't have to put every job on your resume, but if you think the job is worth mentioning at all, it's worth including on the resume.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The grad date addendum sounds ok, but I'd just put the waitressing job on your resume. Putting it in an addendum seems weird. Either it's worthy of being mentioned, or it's not. And this isn't a "professional" resume, it's a resume for applying to law schools.

This

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Ok, I am taking your opinion, you made a good argument. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”