Work Experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jjj1234

Work Experience

Postby jjj1234 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm sure this has been brought up many times over, but I was unsuccessful at finding the exact information through forum search. My question is: When accounting for work experience, do law schools calculate the time you have been working at the point of applying, or at the point of when you would begin classes? I have been working for about 4 months now, but that number would jump to about 14 months by the time I would start classes, so I was curious to see how this would be viewed?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Re: Work Experience

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:43 pm

jjj1234 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I'm sure this has been brought up many times over, but I was unsuccessful at finding the exact information through forum search. My question is: When accounting for work experience, do law schools calculate the time you have been working at the point of applying, or at the point of when you would begin classes? I have been working for about 4 months now, but that number would jump to about 14 months by the time I would start classes, so I was curious to see how this would be viewed?

It doesn't really matter. It will be little to no boost anyhow unless it's some really special work experience. My guess is they'd look at the 4 months if they were going to give some kind of credit.

jjj1234

Postby jjj1234 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm

blowhard wrote:
jjj1234 wrote:Hey Everyone,

It doesn't really matter. It will be little to no boost anyhow unless it's some really special work experience. My guess is they'd look at the 4 months if they were going to give some kind of credit.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. The only reason I was really asking is because I just recently took a job overseas, so I wanted to know if that would be taking into account. Technically, when my application is processed I will have been working there for less than a month vs. almost a year by the time I would be starting classes. Not sure if any of this matters as its not like the most special work experience ever, just thought it could separate me a little from the pack. Thanks again!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Pretty sure Northwestern has said that they count how long you will have been working by the time you matriculate. That said, you're really applying with only 4 months under your belt and it won't look the same as a whole year or more.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”