deferring and scholarships Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Schola

Bronze

deferring and scholarships

Post by Schola » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 pm

While I only just put applications in and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, I am wondering whether law schools usually let you keep scholarship money if you defer a year? My wife just unexpectedly got a big promotion and it would be nice for her to get a second year of experience at her new position--to say nothing of paying off our undergrad student loans--before moving to a new market and looking for a job. But if I get a nice scholarship, which w/ my stats I think is a very real possibility, I am worried that we might have to decide between keeping the scholarship and her getting another year experience at her new position.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: deferring and scholarships

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:15 pm

AFAIK, most schools will usually not defer your scholarship. (I've heard some will, sometimes. Maybe if you have a really compelling reason for deferring, which I'm not sure you do.)

I deferred at Northwestern before aid was awarded last year, so my application for $$ was disregarded by the school and I wasn't awarded any. (NU's financial aid app is separate from and later than the application for admission.) I will be applying for $$ this year when this year's admits apply.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”