Law school calculators?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SisterRayVU

Re: Law school calculators?

Postby SisterRayVU » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Student23 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:January is the absolute latest. If you know people who graduated from a TTT and have a great job, good for them. But in this economy, there are plenty of T1 grads who dont have work or dont have JD required work. Fifteen, twenty years ago, you could go to your local law school and be reasonably sure you'd get a decent job. Not so much anymore.

Isn't that the case with all degrees though? Hell, 10 years ago if you had any degree, regardless of gpa or major you would be making minimum 35k and spend maybe 6-8 months job searching before you settled in. Now you have to have a good degree, from a good school, and graduate with honors or else you'll be screwed. So naturally this translates to the legal field.

But what is undeniable is that you will be better off with a JD, than without one. That is my opinion. I applied for a trainee program that paid 29k a year, and they gave it to a law grad. How can I compete with that with just a BA? If you can get in you should go, it's just a matter of putting yourself in the absolute best position which is what I am trying to do. If Cooley is the only place I can get in, so be it, but I feel as though I could go to a top 50 school and not have to break the bank to do it, thus I re-take the LSAT.

You really don't pay attention to the numbers, do you? Read up on scambloggers or jdunderground. If TLS is where the upper echelon and happy students come to, you desperately need the other side. And not all of them were fuck ups. Good looks on getting a 29k job with 150k debt.

If you want to be in the best position, you need to go to a school that can get you a job. And not just the top 5-10% jobs, but a reasonable amount of grads. And that'll be a T1 school, most likely a T-25 school. But you've clearly decided on what you want and won't listen to other people telling you that yes, you can put yourself in a good position for success even outside of BigLaw, but it's going to be a lot of fuckin' work and it's going to start with getting your LSAT above 164.

Student23

Re: Law school calculators?

Postby Student23 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:18 am

PersuasiveCharm wrote:I only go off of lawschoolnumbers.com

I think LSN is essentially the straw poll of law school calculators. You get like 100 applicants (if that) per school, so the sample size is not reliable enough. On top of that you are relying on people to A) tell the truth and B) input their acceptances. That website is so full of 1 year old waitlist stats it's hard to take much as fact. Still, it is nice to see real people instead of just numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”