Community College Transcripts Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Domiii

New

Community College Transcripts

Post by Domiii » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Sorry if this is a topic somewhere else...I couldn't find it if it was.

Anyway, long time reader, first time poster here. I cannot tell you how valuable I find these forums. I was wondering if I could ask this:

I'm currently enrolled in a four year institution, but I transferred here from a community college. I have to admit, my grades weren't all that great from community college. I had a 3.0-3.1 overall and it's nobody's fault but my own. After I transferred, however, I put in much more work and my GPA shot up to a 3.8. The new school does not add my old class grades into the equation, it simply lists them on my transcript as "transfer" credits. I'm getting everything ready for applications, but I'm a bit confused as to what I should be doing with my transcripts. I've been getting mixed answers. Should I send transcripts from each college? Some staff I've talked to are saying that I should ask each college individually, as apparently some will be happy to accept just my current college's transcript as long as the other classes are listed as transfer credits. Is this true? If not, does the 3.0-3.1 significantly reduce my chances of getting in? To give you an idea of what I'm looking at, I'd most like to go to Buffalo.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to look at my long-winded problem. I really appreciate it.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Re: Community College Transcripts

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:41 pm

You have to submit transcripts separately from each school you attended. This is a pretty explicit requirement for LSAC.

LSAC will take all the grades from all your schools and give you a new GPA that you will use to apply to law school. Your GPA is going to get fucked because of your years of screwing around in community college. It happens to tons of applicants every year. It sucks, but you just gotta accept it.

Domiii

New

Post by Domiii » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Well, that does suck, but is a 3.4 combined with a decent LSAT really all that bad?

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Domiii wrote:Well, that does suck, but is a 3.4 combined with a decent LSAT really all that bad?
Depends on what you mean by "decent". A 3.4 and a 180 might get you into CCN.

Domiii

New

Post by Domiii » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Well, for example Buffalo seems to have a median of 158. What if I were to get something like 160-165? I took the October test and I'm fairly confident I scored in about that range, if not better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Domiii wrote:Well, for example Buffalo seems to have a median of 158. What if I were to get something like 160-165? I took the October test and I'm fairly confident I scored in about that range, if not better.
In that case you'll probably be fine, but it's good idea to get your LSAC GPA and real LSAT score. For now, you can play around with different things on law school predictor and law school numbers. I've spent some time doing that (and wasting a lot of time lol) with hypothetical scores.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 am

I missed the part in your original post where you said you wanted to go to Buffalo. Don't go there. Study hard for that LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”