How to do resume for Boalt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamgoingtolawschool

How to do resume for Boalt

Postby iamgoingtolawschool » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Boalt's app says:
Please provide the following information on a separate attachment or provide a résumé which includes this information:

List academic and non-academic honors and awards received, including fellowships, prizes, and memberships in honor societies.
List your extracurricular activities since entering undergraduate school, the hours per week devoted to such activities, and the dates of the activities.
List your positions of employment since high school (either full- or part-time), the number of hours per week devoted to each position, and the dates of employment.
List your care of dependents (children and adults) while in undergraduate, graduate, or professional school, the number of hours per week devoted to dependent care, and the dates of such care.

How are you guys formatting this? I'm not sure how to list the number of hours I worked each job on my resume, so I might just do an employment addendum instead. OR, do most people just ignore Boalt's request to know the hours worked?

Curious1

Re: How to do resume for Boalt

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:26 pm

iamgoingtolawschool wrote:Boalt's app says:
Please provide the following information on a separate attachment or provide a résumé which includes this information:

List academic and non-academic honors and awards received, including fellowships, prizes, and memberships in honor societies.
List your extracurricular activities since entering undergraduate school, the hours per week devoted to such activities, and the dates of the activities.
List your positions of employment since high school (either full- or part-time), the number of hours per week devoted to each position, and the dates of employment.
List your care of dependents (children and adults) while in undergraduate, graduate, or professional school, the number of hours per week devoted to dependent care, and the dates of such care.

How are you guys formatting this? I'm not sure how to list the number of hours I worked each job on my resume, so I might just do an employment addendum instead. OR, do most people just ignore Boalt's request to know the hours worked?

I did and most people seem to think it's not that big of a deal.

iamgoingtolawschool

Postby iamgoingtolawschool » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey Curious1 -- so you just sent a standard resume instead?

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:32 pm

iamgoingtolawschool wrote:Hey Curious1 -- so you just sent a standard resume instead?

Yeah--I'm afraid I didn't really read the instructions closely, especially since theyre in a separate category away from the form itself--bad design.

I'm pretty sure (hope) it'll be fine.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Last edited by freestallion on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. For one thing on most standardly formatted resumes, it's hard to even stick that info in.

For another, especially if you're coming straight from undergrad, your involvement in extracurriculars and part time jobs probably vary wildly.

beta

Postby beta » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 pm

i would list the hours since they specifically mention it.

the way i did it was :

XYZ Organization, New York, NY 2020-2024 (the years are right formatted)
Tutor (30 hrs/wk)
-Description of activity/duty

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:54 am

I didnt do most of that either... btw

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:56 am

beta wrote:i would list the hours since they specifically mention it.

the way i did it was :

Tutor (30 hrs/wk)

i did something pretty close to this... doubt failing to do so is ding-worthy though.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:59 pm

beta wrote:i would list the hours since they specifically mention it.

the way i did it was :

Tutor (30 hrs/wk)

+1

Failing to do it isn't necessarily ding-worthy but, if you know about this specific request beforehand, why not just do it?

sfamor

Postby sfamor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Hmm- I have had dozens and dozens of part-time and full-time jobs and a lot of volunteering gigs. I got my first paid job when I was 14 and now I'm 28 and have never not worked in-between. I was not planning to put anything from high school on my resume, but now after reading this I wonder if I should? My resume would literally be pages long if I actually put down all of my past jobs and volunteer positions. I kind of doubt they want that. What do you think I should do?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:16 pm

sfamor wrote:Hmm- I have had dozens and dozens of part-time and full-time jobs and a lot of volunteering gigs. I got my first paid job when I was 14 and now I'm 28 and have never not worked in-between. I was not planning to put anything from high school on my resume, but now after reading this I wonder if I should? My resume would literally be pages long if I actually put down all of my past jobs and volunteer positions. I kind of doubt they want that. What do you think I should do?
It says right there "extracurricular activities since entering undergraduate school" and "positions of employment since high school." Don't list anything from high school or earlier unless it was, like, winning an Olympic gold medal.

lblelalr

Postby lblelalr » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:47 pm

so the consensus is that submitting a regular resume doesn't really matter? I flexapped my resume and didn't bother reading the instructions for that section. It's probably not worth it to email a new resume over right?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”