How do you determine your list of schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curious1

How do you determine your list of schools?

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 pm

General question: How do people determine how far to cast their net? By the median number? the 75th percentile--as in "if I'm over 75th percentile in GPA and LSAT then I'm def getting in so no need to go lower" ?

Wondering because I'm a bit of a splitter at schools I'm looking at right now and my GPA is not above the 75th percentile (or even median) at most places.

I also have a bunch of fee waivers from lower schools--is it worth the $16 to cast a wider net?

Tom Joad

Re: How do you determine your list of schools?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Fee waivers.

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Im interested in this too. So far I am planning on only applying to a few regional schools in the area that I want to work and will accept the one that I will have the least amount of debt at.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Use LSN to figure out chance of acceptance & scholarship amount for each t14 and regional school that you're interested in. Use the data to figure out safeties, targets, and reaches.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Use LSN to figure out chance of acceptance & scholarship amount for each t14 and regional school that you're interested in. Use the data to figure out safeties, targets, and reaches.

I've been lookin' but the data is a little sparse around my numbers, esp. because of the splitter situation.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Hmm, that's true. TBH, with your numbers, I would stick to YHS as reaches, CCN as targets and any of MVPDBN as safeties. You don't need to look elsewhere.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Yeah if I get into Duke PT within the next 3 days that'll be a huge sigh of relief.

I was looking around LSN from last cycle and saw some people with numbers similar to me getting dinged at HYSCCN and waitlisted at MVPDB --it's really been scaring me.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Since I don't have the #s for T14, I'm planning on attending one of the schools in my region. I'm also applying to some peer schools of my top choices hoping to have leverage for scholarship purposes as well as others that I would actually like to attend if the $$$ is right.

Also, I am throwing apps to two T14 schools (one of which is my dream school) just to see if I get lucky.

I'm a proponent of staying close to home if you're not going T14.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Curious1 wrote:Yeah if I get into Duke PT within the next 3 days that'll be a huge sigh of relief.

I was looking around LSN from last cycle and saw some people with numbers similar to me getting dinged at HYSCCN and waitlisted at MVPDB --it's really been scaring me.

Unless there's something glaringly wrong with your app, I'd be completely shocked if you got shut out of CCN

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”