15 more law schools to be sued

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:55 pm

MTal wrote:If you are paying $$ for anything below the T14....you are getting SCREWED.


Does Mtal ever qualify his anti-law school rants like this? I thought it was any law school is a bad prospect?
Mtal why you mad bro?

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby 23402385985 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Mal v. Mtal, 666 T.L.S.3d 1 (L.S.A.F. 2011)

User avatar
Jah'rakal
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Jah'rakal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:20 pm

that's such bs, southwestern is a great school

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby beachbum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Sucks that this thread turned into the standard "lol, MTal" thread. (Which, FWIW, is the best argument against MTal's behavior/existence: he's such a caricature that, even when he has legitimate things to say, people don't take him seriously). Here, it seems that pending litigation against 15 schools is a pretty big deal, and could be part of a much larger trend - which hopefully leads to some sort of meaningful reform.

Granted, MTal sucks. But there's actually legitimate discussion to be had about this article, beyond simply pointing out how much MTal sucks (which he does).

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm

He's usually not wrong--people who are paying sticker at anything below the T-14 ARE probably better off working at Target.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:55 pm

minnbills wrote:
MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:
MTal wrote:15 law schools are being sued. More lawsuits are surely on the way. What is your response?


My response is that you have gotten through to me and I now work at Target


Congrats, you just saved earned yourself a lifetime of jobless humiliation and soul-crushing debt poverty.


HTH

Corporate Target jobs are good gigs. I know several kids from good schools who work there and they all make 60k+ right out of school. Plus Target generally promotes from within so getting that 200k+ field manager or director level job is certainly a possibility if you are good at what you do.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Corporate Target jobs are good gigs. I know several kids from good schools who work there and they all make 60k+ right out of school. Plus Target generally promotes from within so getting that 200k+ field manager or director level job is certainly a possibility if you are good at what you do.


My parents used to work target corp. jobs. I'm well aware that it's a great company. My point doesn't concern that though. I'm saying that going to work as a cashier or some other store job is not necessarily a better outcome than what will happen by going to law school.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3878
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Mal v. Mtal, 666 T.L.S.3d 1 (L.S.A.F. 2011)


does the LSAF stand for Law Students Are Fucked?

joncrooshal wrote:It depends on what your definition of "is" is.


I lol'd. Politics used to be funny haha, now it's just funny in a sad sort of way.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Thanks. They've blocked my server.


Assure you we didn't block your server. I don't know what the deal is, though. I can only recreate this problem from the OP's link. (The same) Direct links are working elsewhere, e.g. on the ABA Journal, Above the Law, Tax Prof, Instapundit, etc.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:16 pm

minnbills wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Corporate Target jobs are good gigs. I know several kids from good schools who work there and they all make 60k+ right out of school. Plus Target generally promotes from within so getting that 200k+ field manager or director level job is certainly a possibility if you are good at what you do.


My parents used to work target corp. jobs. I'm well aware that it's a great company. My point doesn't concern that though. I'm saying that going to work as a cashier or some other store job is not necessarily a better outcome than what will happen by going to law school.

I think for the most part Mtal encourages getting degree required jobs, not cashier type gigs.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm

MTal wrote:1/3rd of NYU's graduating class is unemployed. How will they pay back 200k in debt?


Can you cite a source for this?

Also,

These complaints will follow previous complaints filed against New York Law School, Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Michigan, and Thomas Jefferson School of Law in California.
--LinkRemoved--

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby 23402385985 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:32 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Mal v. Mtal, 666 T.L.S.3d 1 (L.S.A.F. 2011)


does the LSAF stand for Law Students Are Fucked?

joncrooshal wrote:It depends on what your definition of "is" is.


I lol'd. Politics used to be funny haha, now it's just funny in a sad sort of way.


I was refering to "Law School Admission Forum", but I like yours better.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:33 pm

MTal wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Congrats, you just saved earned yourself a lifetime of jobless humiliation and soul-crushing debt poverty.

HTH


Tell that to the Target Store manager who makes over 100k plus benefits, matching 401k, PTO, etc.

--LinkRemoved--

why are you still here?

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby RPK34 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:38 pm

MTal wrote:
Eco wrote:You're exaggerating when you say it has to be t-14 or nothing. All those schools are in the bottom, nowhere near T-20 or T-30.


1/3rd of NYU's graduating class is unemployed. How will they pay back 200k in debt?


Source?

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby 23402385985 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:46 pm

MTal wrote:
1/3rd of NYU's graduating class is unemployed. How will they pay back 200k in debt?


Image

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:57 pm

beachbum wrote:Sucks that this thread turned into the standard "lol, MTal" thread. (Which, FWIW, is the best argument against MTal's behavior/existence: he's such a caricature that, even when he has legitimate things to say, people don't take him seriously). Here, it seems that pending litigation against 15 schools is a pretty big deal, and could be part of a much larger trend - which hopefully leads to some sort of meaningful reform.

Granted, MTal sucks. But there's actually legitimate discussion to be had about this article, beyond simply pointing out how much MTal sucks (which he does).

Agreed. If we can move past the MTal crap and look at the issue, it's rather interesting and seems to be an increasing trend. However, only time will tell if the complaints against law schools will hold any weight.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby 23402385985 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
beachbum wrote:Sucks that this thread turned into the standard "lol, MTal" thread. (Which, FWIW, is the best argument against MTal's behavior/existence: he's such a caricature that, even when he has legitimate things to say, people don't take him seriously). Here, it seems that pending litigation against 15 schools is a pretty big deal, and could be part of a much larger trend - which hopefully leads to some sort of meaningful reform.

Granted, MTal sucks. But there's actually legitimate discussion to be had about this article, beyond simply pointing out how much MTal sucks (which he does).

Agreed. If we can move past the MTal crap and look at the issue, it's rather interesting and seems to be an increasing trend. However, only time will tell if the complaints against law schools will hold any weight.


Well, when a school is charging over 40K per year and fucks everyone in the ass after graduation, I think everyone will start suing. I do think that this will be an increasing trend as well.

lawbanshee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby lawbanshee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Dear God, the rates for doc review jobs (which, of course, is the only "employment" available for the grads of most gutter schools like NYLS, Brooklyn, 'Bozo, et al, just keep plunging of late:

--LinkRemoved--

and

--LinkRemoved--

If you have 4+ years of specialized mortgage/foreclosure experience, you can get a whopping $33 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--


Go ahead and bash these jobs in usual TLS fashion, i.e. "only the anchorman from Cooley does doc review," and "no attorney would work for that rate since the degree is versatile, they could work in business, blah blah.

Reaility sucks, kids. But me thinks you're all gonna have to learn that the hard way.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby clintonius » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Sherwood2014 wrote:I assume that there will be No T-14 schools in the crosshairs of class action suits.
MTal wrote:1/3rd of NYU's graduating class is unemployed. How will they pay back 200k in debt?



I would be uncomfortable giving out exact statistics, but recent numbers provided to us by the school indicate that 1/3 is not a gross overestimate.

User avatar
Kendi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Kendi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Given the big profits, it is easy to understand why law schools are abundant. 3.0 GPA 150 LSAT, you are in (just bring money).

On the other hand, trying to secure entrance for a PHD in Phycology is close to impossible, due to schools imposing extreme limitations on the number of openings. I assume if schools opened their doors to Phycology students they would quadruple their revenues. So why is it that schools hold the line on recruiting phycology students and open the floodgates to law students? Is there a remedy to this imbalance?

lawbanshee
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby lawbanshee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:15 pm

We have 4 NYU kids on the doc review gig I'm doing right now (at least 4 in my room- might be more in the upstairs rooms). 2 got rescinded offers in the bloodbath and 2 others laid off.

BTW we are making a whopping $30 an hour here for 40 to 60 hours a week, flat rate. And of course no health bennies or 401K or anything a normal professional job would have.

Tons and tons of 'Bozo and Brooklyn grads here, Fordham has decent representation too. Also NYLS and the other bottom feeding 4th tier places like Pace.

The NYU'ers on this gig are the ones who turned me on to this website. I'll have to admit that after a 1/2 hour or so of checking out the scene here, I've literally never laughed so hard in my life. I think the Flat Earth Society has a stronger grip on reality than most people here.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:18 pm

@jenesaislaw: The message reads:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /2011/10/15-more-aba-approved-lawschools-to-be-sued/ on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.


MTal knows how to time the options market.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:46 pm

lawbanshee wrote:We have 4 NYU kids on the doc review gig I'm doing right now (at least 4 in my room- might be more in the upstairs rooms). 2 got rescinded offers in the bloodbath and 2 others laid off.

BTW we are making a whopping $30 an hour here for 40 to 60 hours a week, flat rate. And of course no health bennies or 401K or anything a normal professional job would have.

Tons and tons of 'Bozo and Brooklyn grads here, Fordham has decent representation too. Also NYLS and the other bottom feeding 4th tier places like Pace.

The NYU'ers on this gig are the ones who turned me on to this website. I'll have to admit that after a 1/2 hour or so of checking out the scene here, I've literally never laughed so hard in my life. I think the Flat Earth Society has a stronger grip on reality than most people here.


I'm not here to justify that law school is a good or bad investment. However, there's absolutely no way to verify what you are and MTal claiming. You could be making shit up. Back up your statements with facts.

1/3 of the NYU class is unemployed, with other NYU grads doing doc review? That sounds like nonsense to me.

Without providing any evidence to justify your claims, you sound like bitter trolls.

User avatar
Kendi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby Kendi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:35 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:1/3 of the NYU class is unemployed, with other NYU grads doing doc review? That sounds like nonsense to me.

Without providing any evidence to justify your claims, you sound like bitter trolls.


You might be right, but what do you think happens to NYU (or any T-6 / T-14) grads ranked at the bottom of their class?

murray18
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Re: 15 more law schools to be sued

Postby murray18 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Dear prepared, well read, logical law school applicants,

DONT GO TO LAW SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU'LL BE POOR AND UNEMPLOYED AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Internet Freak Out Guy

PS: The government flew the planes into the World Trade Center, caused Katrina, and you'll die.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jtawil and 7 guests