addenda for low gpa???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

addenda for low gpa???

Postby Schang1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:36 am

Hey guys, so I graduated with a 3.4 cumulative gpa, but during the first year of my undergrad, I became anemic and didn't seek help until the second semester of freshmen year (just thought I was nautious and weak), so I finally fainted and was admitted to the hospital for 3 days and got 3 packs of blood transfusion (was 6 on hemoglobin).. So my gpa for the first year is like 2.5, then I've been constantly getting above a 3.65 (and on dean's list twice) - and so my average gpa for the last 2 and a half years (graduated a semester early) is roughly 3.7~3.75. So I wrote an addenda sort of explaining how I feel that that is more reflective of my actual ability in school - is this a reasonable addenda to provide?? Also, I'm curious to know if schools really do give a shit about these addenda - if the school is going to look at it and think "lol doesn't matter - you have a 3.4" then I might as well not provide one.. right? Should I attach a medical documentation as well (I've heard people say medical documentation is not necessary but am not sure..)?

Re: addenda for low gpa???

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Yes, write it. (And make sure you spell nauseous correctly.) It probably won't make a big difference, but it could be a tiebreaker between you and someone with similar numbers and no good excuse.

Medical documentation is not necessary. Just a paragraph or two explaining, without dramatics, what happened.

Re: addenda for low gpa???

Postby theadvancededit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Addenda do matter, as they give insight to the adcomm of a situation or circumstance that they would not otherwise have, and may possibly consider your GPA differently.

You don't need medical documentation but you can offer to provide it at their request.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”