any trends on the mix up in top 14 in the future?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
masochist

Re: any trends on the mix up in top 14 in the future?

Postby masochist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Really depends upon how badly US News needs to increase its circulation. And where.

Hasn't USNWR given up on circulating anything? I thought they were now a glorified blog with no actual "news," "reports," or "magazines."

Sorry for the intrusion. Carry on with your debate about marginal changes in an invalid rating scheme's ranking of institutions whose actual prestige changes over decades rather than months. :)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Good comment from that ATL thread that sums it up quite nicely: "What this demonstrates is that the USN&WR rankings are prepared by statistical illiterates.

If you have several scores that vary very little between top schools (like GPA and LSAT scores), and a few that vary very much, simply multiplying the scores by different weights and adding them up will make most of the variation between schools be accounted for by the scores that vary the most. It would be better to adjust the raw scores in each cattegory into percentile rankings, the number of standard deviations away from the mean or in some other way - maybe the negative logarithim of (100 minus the percentile rank) - to make the variability of the different scores more comparable before adding them up. I'm no statistical wizz, I've forgotten most of what I once knew, but it shouldn't be impossible to make the variability of the socres equivalent before combining them. Otherwise, you get BS like spending per student outweighing hypothetical perfect GPA, LSAT and repuation scores."

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 pm

I would not be surprised if Berkeley dropped out of the T10 in the near future.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:00 pm

bjsesq wrote:Northwestern plummets to somewhere in the 20's because of its inability to asses the character of the people it allows to attend.

Are you referring to the fact that they kept you as a student? You're right, this could be our downfall.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Also, if UT replaced GT in the T14, wouldn't it automatically become T13? :)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Also, if UT replaced GT in the T14, wouldn't it automatically become T13? :)

It has been for a while.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Also, if UT replaced GT in the T14, wouldn't it automatically become T13? :)

It has been for a while.

My bad.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:15 pm

If you want your school to move up in the rankings, convince the Dean to start a fundraising campaign to build a new wing to your law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:33 pm

rayiner wrote:Good comment from that ATL thread that sums it up quite nicely: "What this demonstrates is that the USN&WR rankings are prepared by statistical illiterates.

If you have several scores that vary very little between top schools (like GPA and LSAT scores), and a few that vary very much, simply multiplying the scores by different weights and adding them up will make most of the variation between schools be accounted for by the scores that vary the most. It would be better to adjust the raw scores in each cattegory into percentile rankings, the number of standard deviations away from the mean or in some other way - maybe the negative logarithim of (100 minus the percentile rank) - to make the variability of the different scores more comparable before adding them up. I'm no statistical wizz, I've forgotten most of what I once knew, but it shouldn't be impossible to make the variability of the socres equivalent before combining them. Otherwise, you get BS like spending per student outweighing hypothetical perfect GPA, LSAT and repuation scores."

I see you didn't quote the part that says "Also Elie is a walrus"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”