How will a paralegal cert program affect my LSAC gpa? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkatillam2

Bronze

How will a paralegal cert program affect my LSAC gpa?

Post by darkatillam2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm actually writing this for a friend, but I'm curious nonetheless. Two years at an UG, transferred to another UG school to finish the BA.

Then went to a state school to get a paralegal cert. The reason I ask is because the person in question had a 4.0 during the whole two year paralegal program, but had a considerably lower GPA during college to get the BA. Will the cert program offset the low GPA in anyway (and not just as a "soft" which will help the overall application. Will it make an actual numerical difference in the LSAC GPA)?

Thanks for anyone who can help me answer this question for my friend.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: How will a paralegal cert program affect my LSAC gpa?

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Nope. Once your first bachelors degree is awarded, your LSDAS GPA is set in stone.

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:56 pm

I have a similar question, I am taking paralegal classes, just one or two to get some 'warm up' before law school - Should these be reported to LSAC?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:09 pm

As rinkrat says, nothing after the first degree counts for LSAC GPA.

My guess is that a paralegal certificate would be a good soft outside the T14, especially with those grades, but either a detriment or no benefit at all for the lower T14, and a definite detriment for the T6.
vkgarrett wrote:I have a similar question, I am taking paralegal classes, just one or two to get some 'warm up' before law school - Should these be reported to LSAC?
Yes. From the LSAC website:
LSAC wrote:You must have a separate transcript sent to LSAC directly from each undergraduate and graduate institution you attended in the United States, its territories, or Canada.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”