Applying to Law School w/ legacy (No place to mention on app

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
z0rk

Applying to Law School w/ legacy (No place to mention on app

Postby z0rk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:40 am

Still feeling the nervous jitters from the October 2011 exam, but trying to keep my head up and work on applications in the meantime.

I'm applying to a law school to which I have "legacy". I don't have legacy to the law school perse, but my family has a longstanding history with this university's graduate level programs. My mother received her MSW from this university, my grandfather was a dean of the medical school, and my uncle graduated from their medical program. (I'm sorry to be vague about which school I am referencing, but I've heard that adcoms sometimes read these forums and I'd like to keep my details private until disclosed on an application).

Is it worth mentioning this? I don't believe there is space to mention this on the app and I am writing an addendum to explain a registration absence and an unreflective score, so I feel like an addendum to legacy is out. If its worth mentioning this, how would you go about getting this point across? Is it worth mentioning in a PS? I feel like that seems caddy.

quadsixm

Re: Applying to Law School w/ legacy (No place to mention on app

Postby quadsixm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:55 am

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:57 am

Or, just pretend your other grandfather was the dean of the law school. They aren't going to check.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Nvm. Similar situation with Vandy last year. They let you mention it on the app though.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm

I think most apps allow a space for relatives that attended the school.

If not, write a 'Why X' and include it there.

blazinswordofjustice

Postby blazinswordofjustice » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:07 pm

My understanding, based on lots of dean's interviews/Q&As, is that this doesn't matter. Sorry thats not what you want to hear, but unless your parents or grandparents went to the law school (not the university at large), then it probably won't help. For some schools, even your parents legacy doesn't matter. Of course, it is certainly possible they do take legacies into account and just say they don't...

Your grandpa being a dean at the school can't hurt, but if it was recent, won't they recognize your name? If not, maybe a quick additional sentence in your PS/Why X, briefly mentioning but not harping on your connections to the school, how you know the schools character, etc...can't hurt...

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm

I've read that adcomms don't want to see legacy as a prime reason that you want to attend the school, but I would think that this would be worth a mention. Perhaps do it in a why x and phrase it as "I know the culture of the school well because...."

caminante

Postby caminante » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 am

Another vote here for including it in a "Why X" essay.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 am

Just call in to the admissions office and say:

"Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, having hear my name just now, that my blood lines run deep here at (INSERT SCHOOL NAME), what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up PHD at the old school. Not to mention the not less than significant tid-bit that my grandfather, a gentlemen of worldly pursuits and a learned doctor of medicine, was at one time the dean of your medical school. All that aside, I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and a glass of scotch (aged not less than 25 years of course), at the old boys club. Do let me know old chap. Cherio!"

This really should do the trick.

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Just call in to the admissions office and say:

"Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, having hear my name just now, that my blood lines run deep here at (INSERT SCHOOL NAME), what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up PHD at the old school. Not to mention the not less than significant tid-bit that my grandfather, a gentlemen of worldly pursuits and a learned doctor of medicine, was at one time the dean of your medical school. All that aside, I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and a glass of scotch (aged not less than 25 years of course), at the old boys club. Do let me know old chap. Cherio!"

Oh good, I thought this is how most law school admissions are handled. Thank you for the confirmation.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Jimbola wrote:

Oh good, I thought this is how most law school admissions are handled. Thank you for the confirmation.

No problem.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Worked for JFK:

"The reasons that I have for wishing to go to Harvard are several. I feel that Harvard can give me a better background and a better liberal education than any other university. I have always wanted to go there, as I have felt that it is not just another college, but is a university with something definite to offer. Then too, I would like to go to the same college as my father. To be a "harvard man" is an enviable distinction, and one that I sincerely hope I shall attain."

http://gawker.com/5734064/jfks-unimpres ... pplication

HeadToWall

Postby HeadToWall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 am

Love it. Seriously though, I was under the impression that a major driving force behind the establishment of US legal academia was the intention to distinguish the practice and study of law from the historically nepotistic and elitist traditions of British and other old world class systems in which only certain privileged people were eligible to become lawyers- but maybe I'm mistaken.

Either way, I doubt there would be any perceived value in a candidate laying claim to a legacy except in it's ability to demonstrate that he 'knows what he's getting himself into'. Anything other than a family member with whom you have a rather close relationship, and who could accurately demonstrate and describe the qualities that lead to success at that LAW school is probably unlikely to show that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”