Is a lower 2nd LSAT score taboo for law schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nsnSF

Is a lower 2nd LSAT score taboo for law schools?

Postby nsnSF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi everyone - 1st post ever.

I took the June test and received a 159. I was really displeased with the amount of desk space while taking it at USF in the bay area (eight inch by eight inch desk, holding RC passage in the air while filling out answer sheet etc.) and decided to retake.

I just took the October test, and feel pretty good about it, but am worried I could end up with a 158/157 if things really don't go my way. I had LR (25) LG (23) LR (26) LR (26) RC (27) and can't tell from the forums which LR was experimental.

I messed up on LR (1) a bit because I was frazzled since the proctor came up to me and ordered me to take my analog watch off "because it had to be lying flat on my desk" which I was 100% sure she was wrong about, but didn't want to be tossed out for arguing. Still sat there seething nonetheless.

Basic question: does it look really bad to schools to take the LSAT again and get a lower score? Do they make assumptions about your character / work ethic?

I'm afraid LR1 was probably scored because I can't remember there being a 102 question test (two 26 Q LRs) in recent memory.

The LSAT gods hate me- first a shitty desk, and then an evil proctor. Thanks in advance for the help!

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Is a lower 2nd LSAT score taboo for law schools?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 pm

I don't think a 1 point difference is going to mean a whole lot -- especially in that score band. It's only answering one more question wrong, after all.

I think it becomes problematic when the score drop is several points.

nsnSF

Postby nsnSF » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Ok, thanks for the reply!

Just needed to hear it from someone, I'm sure I didn't drop too far below 159.

A couple of people told me it looks pretty bad to get the same score or slightly worse the second time around.

I'm hoping for 162-165 which is where I was consistently PTing.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:33 pm

It looks like your experimental was you third section.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 am

nsnSF wrote:Ok, thanks for the reply!

Just needed to hear it from someone, I'm sure I didn't drop too far below 159.

A couple of people told me it looks pretty bad to get the same score or slightly worse the second time around.

I'm hoping for 162-165 which is where I was consistently PTing.

Is it bad to get the same score?? Maybe I should cancel my score now (deadline is by today, right?)... I got a 160 in June 2011, which was 8 points lower than my PT scores, but I screwed up on my LG + 1 LR section, so I'm feeling pretty bad but I feel like I got the same 160 or maybe a point lower even... are you going to cancel or score (or did you?)? I just don't know what the difference would be of having a "160 + cancel + retake" or a "160 + 159 + retake"..

nsnSF

Postby nsnSF » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I've decided not to retake, I think the additional time required to study and really improve would outset any benefit. I'm just focusing on applications now.

Thus, I'm keeping my score and hoping for the best.

I'm not sure if you're applying this cycle, but I'm not as comfortable submitting a December score. If you're applying later, go for it.

I could see arguments both ways for the cancel / retake and keep score / retake options. Guess it depends on how well you really think you did, there are some good threads about ways to calculate "best case" and "worst case" scenarios to try and predict your score, which seem helpful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”