Personal Statement Length Blunder Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsh531

New

Personal Statement Length Blunder

Post by lsh531 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Hey, thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I just sent in my application to Harvard Law and realized after I sent it that my personal statement is 3 pages (instead of the two pages mandated by HLS). Is this a big deal?

I can easily cut it down to 2 pages and was thinking of calling the Admissions office in the morning and explaining my predicament. Good idea? Any and all advice appreciated

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Personal Statement Length Blunder

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 pm

As an AA male with a 3.9+ GPA & a 169 LSAT, Harvard may not notice your PS. But, if they do, you should still receive good news, in my opinion.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:26 pm

HLS wouldn't ding you based on personal statement length alone. I say leave sleeping dogs lie -- good luck.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 am

youre an alcoholic?

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:47 pm

AA=African American.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm

you shouldnt use that term

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:30 pm

I view those page limits as more of guidelines than actual rules. No reputable law school is going to turn away a qualified candidate because their PS was a page longer than what they wanted. They just don't want a ten page life drama.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm

There is a risk, but I think it could be worth calling. Compliance with silly rules is important in the world of law, and I think adcoms take rule violations at least a little seriously. You could send the admissions office an amended PS and I bet they'd update your file with it if you do it soon. I'd have an edited version ready (you'll need it for other apps anyway, right?) And since they probably haven't read your file yet, there would be little harm to them.

Of course, you do look a little bad, but I think it also shows you're taking this seriously and care about their time in reading these.

Others' opinions will vary.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:58 pm

yuzu wrote:There is a risk, but I think it could be worth calling. Compliance with silly rules is important in the world of law, and I think adcoms take rule violations at least a little seriously. You could send the admissions office an amended PS and I bet they'd update your file with it if you do it soon. I'd have an edited version ready (you'll need it for other apps anyway, right?) And since they probably haven't read your file yet, there would be little harm to them.

Of course, you do look a little bad, but I think it also shows you're taking this seriously and care about their time in reading these.

Others' opinions will vary.
+1

I would take the advice of the person already at Harvard on this one. I think following directions poorly is just about the only thing someone could do wrong in your situation. Right it and then don't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:05 pm

mrtoren wrote:I view those page limits as more of guidelines than actual rules. No reputable law school is going to turn away a qualified candidate because their PS was a page longer than what they wanted. They just don't want a ten page life drama.
this is poor advice. I agree they are not going to "turn you away" for it. But, do not view page limits as soft guidelines

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 pm

they just don't read 3rd page

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:14 am

i would advise u too call and or submit email asking if u can substitute a different ps...harvard is looking for every reason to keep people out..dont give them any

lsh531

New

Post by lsh531 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks for all the advice!

I called the Admissions office at Harvard and two different people said that it was no big deal. Hopefully that holds true once they start deciding whether to admit me.

Thanks again!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 am

lsh531 wrote:Thanks for all the advice!

I called the Admissions office at Harvard and two different people said that it was no big deal. Hopefully that holds true once they start deciding whether to admit me.

Thanks again!
Glad you just called. Not going to lie, my PS was 3 pages. I don't even remember the 2 page guideline. You'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”