Question about applying to Law School.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dstei89

Question about applying to Law School.

Postby Dstei89 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:30 pm

I am having some trouble deciding between two situations that have arisen. I need advise quickly as I only have so much time to make the decision (around 3 more days)

I took the Oct 1st LSAT test. I don't believe this test will give me the score I want, because my nerves got the best of me and I got ZERO sleep the night before. I had a tough time concentrating during the test. I believe I scored around a 160-163 on this test. (but obviously I am not 100% sure) I have been practicing a lot, and receiving 168-171 on my practice tests. I do not feel I did this on the real test.

So here is my dilemma, I would like to apply for next fall semester law school. I can hope for the best with this LSAT score, and then apply in November. Or I can cancel this score, retake the LSAT in December, obtain the score I know I can get, then apply later with a higher LSAT score. What do you think is my best option?

BASICALLY:
Apply now with lower LSAT
or
Wait till late December to apply with a higher LSAT.

I am looking at GWU/EMORY/FORDHAM/CORNELL/BU/BC

I currently have a 3.3 GPA in Electrical Engineering.

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Question about applying to Law School.

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 pm

It's always better to apply with a higher LSAT score, even if that means applying a little later.

Dstei89

Postby Dstei89 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:It's always better to apply with a higher LSAT score, even if that means applying a little later.

That is what I thought, and what I am leaning towards. Just wanted to hear a general consensus! Thank you for your speedy response!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:It's always better to apply with a higher LSAT score, even if that means applying a little later.

+1

The best thing would be to get some WE experience before law school, but the second best would be to retake in December. Whatever you do, don't go to GWU or Emory without $$$.

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Don't cancel this score but begin prepping for December. You will get a lot of WLs but if you get 170+ some schools will bite. Worst case you hold off a year and do something fun.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah, why cancel when you can wait for your score and retake only if you're not satisfied?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”