Applying to 1 school this cycle. Worth it/hurt next cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
senorhosh

Applying to 1 school this cycle. Worth it/hurt next cycle?

Postby senorhosh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I was going to apply next cycle but since I took the Oct LSAT, I want to ED to one reach school this cycle.
Once I get my LSAT score, if I score around my expected range, I will send the app.

My application would be mediocre (poor LOR, lower GPA than expected, haven't started PS).
How much time does it usually take to do 1 app + all the essays?
Will a poor app this year hurt my chances next year (to the same school)? Should I just apply "properly" next year?

Thanks

CanadianWolf

Re: Applying to 1 school this cycle. Worth it/hurt next cycle?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Completing a law school application varies from two hours to two weeks depending upon the applicant.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 pm

I spent more than a month finishing/polishing my PS. It took many, many drafts and feedback from various friends, family members, strangers on this forum, etc. I would suggest you spend some time on your personal statement. Start working on it now!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm

freestallion wrote:I spent more than a month finishing/polishing my PS. It took many, many drafts and feedback from various friends, family members, strangers on this forum, etc. I would suggest you spend some time on your personal statement. Start working on it now!

In the alternative, I did mine in about a week, realized I had a typo after I sent in my first 2-3 apps, got accepted to Duke the day after I applied, Penn & NYU in the first round of acceptances. I am not convinced they read / care about your personal statement if your numbers are good enough for the school. Although I would say avoid typos.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

It depends on how quickly you can work, how well you can work while pressed for time, as well as how much free time you have available. As you can see from freestallion's response and kronk's response, a "good enough" time-frames and work-ethics depends on the person.

A poor app this cycle wouldn't hurt your chances next cycle but, if is a realistic concern, why do it to begin with? If you don't get in, you'll have to wait until next cycle anyhow, so why not wait and do a full round of apps then?

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:30 pm

As a reapplicant, I thought the experience the first time helped me polish things the second time. YMMV.

Keep in mind if you want to reapply at your reach school they may expect at least a new essay and a new LOR. And they keep your old application, so if your original essay is embarrassingly bad they will remember.

Keep in mind ED deadlines may be early though. The process of LORs, essays, etc., can take longer than you think.

Another thing to consider is that once one application is done the others should be very easy. Law school applications tend to be almost identical. If you can get one application done by the ED deadline, you could probably apply to ten others the next day.

LSAT/GPA is the largest factor; unless you think LSAT or GPA can improve substantially I don't think your chances are that much better the next time around.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”