How will Less Applicants Effect Admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am

So following the October test, it appears there's a trend of less people taking the LSAT. Perhaps the talk about the economy finally scared people away. Regardless, I was curious what others thought about how it affects admissions. I briefly scanned the threads and didn't see a thread on this (though I'm sure I'm not that cool to have thought of this question before anyone else).

So yea: If applications start going down more, how drastically will schools change their admissions standards. Will they accept the same # and just look to lower their #'s, or will they accept less to skew their statistics?

Any thoughts are welcomed.
Last edited by ionoiforgot on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Re: How will Less Applicants will Effect Admissions?

Postby kwais » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 am

a third possibility is that the decline is heavily weighted towards those who were looking at lower ranked schools. If this is the case, T14s and T1s might not see a change in numbers. Also, given the emerging data about OCI at schools like 20-40 this year, students may be more likely to turn down the schollys for T14s. I have no idea, but your options don't cover the range of possibilities.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 am

Fewer.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

Affect.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:43 am

I think there's a running discussion about this in another thread - the one about current law school medians. But I'm most curious to see how big the drop in test takers is and how this would impact t-14. I am pretty sure that schools below the t-14 or t-20 will begin to hurt due to the lack of applicants, but I'm wondering if it impacts the top schools much. I think it will a little bit, but perhaps not as much. Even the number of 170+ applicants will start to decrease a bit.

Mostly I'm praying this impacts even the top schools just enough to allow me to squeak by :mrgreen:

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:45 am

Correct your title. "How will less applicants will Affect admissions?" Jesus, grammar matters.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 am

I don't think it will affect LLM students much.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:06 am

For a second, I was hoping they would just take less students, since why should this years class get an advantage I didn't get.
Then I realized it wouldn't affect me, so I decided to grow up, and wish you all get into Yale. (Who knows, maybe there will only be 200 law school applicants this year.)

groberts

Postby groberts » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 am

anewaphorist wrote:Correct your title. "How will less applicants will Affect admissions?" Jesus, grammar matters.

Grammar does matter. FEWER applicants.

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 am

There is no way to say what sort of applicants are the ones who are reconsidering.

If the bottom end of the spectrum dropped out it is conceivable that it will be just as competitive as ever this year. If the 15% or w/e drop in test takers was balanced across all of the percentiles then it should be marginally less competitive and there will probably be more wait list action than normal.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:41 am

groberts wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:Correct your title. "How will less applicants will Affect admissions?" Jesus, grammar matters.

Effect is a noun, but it can also be a verb. Thus, "How will Less Applicants Effect Admissions?" is not totally improper.

EFFECT
verb [ with obj. ]
cause (something) to happen; bring about.

----
Just like it did last year: Lower admission standards, or, if not, fewer admitted applicants. Law schools can't have it all this time; at least not when a bunch of grads from very reputable schools are graduating with no jobs and lots of debt.

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

In my defense, it's hella late right now in Korea.
I was initially lazy to change it, but since you insist :P

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 pm

scammedhard wrote:
groberts wrote:

Effect is a noun, but it can also be a verb. Thus, "How will Less Applicants Effect Admissions?" is not totally improper.

EFFECT
verb [ with obj. ]
cause (something) to happen; bring about.

----
Just like it did last year: Lower admission standards, or, if not, fewer admitted applicants. Law schools can't have it all this time; at least not when a bunch of grads from very reputable schools are graduating with no jobs and lots of debt.

Pretty sure the people correcting know effect can be a verb. And unless you mean how are fewer applicants going to cause admissions to happen, and not what effect fewer applicants are going to have on admissions, the title is still wrong.

Kabuo

Re: How will Less Applicants Effect Admissions?

Postby Kabuo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Also, I know I've now contributed to this, but there is way too much grammar policing ITT, even for TLS. A lot of it isn't even good. Some people already answered the question, and it is being discussed in the median thread too.

zozin

Re: How will Less Applicants Effect Admissions?

Postby zozin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Anybody know when LSAC usually releases test volume figures?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”