When to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mgp2675

When to apply?

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 am

I'm conpleting my undergrad in May 2012 and I would like to be taking classes in law school by fall 2012. When do I need to apply in order to realistically be reviewed (and hopefully accepted) by fall? I should point out that I will be applying to schools that get a lot of applications (NYU, BU, Notre Dame, UF, etc.) so I understand the sooner the better, but I can only apply with so many credentials if I didn't receive my degree yet.

Any help would be appreciated, and please keep in mind I'm very new to this forum. Advice is the best thing anyone can give me right now. Thanks!

Matt

mths

Re: When to apply?

Postby mths » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 am

apply right now

Do you have an lsat score?

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 am

No I'm taking it in February. I'm not near ready for it.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 am

I don't know if you can apply in time by taking it in February to most schools for fall 2012.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 am

Your best bet is going to be to wait a cycle. A February score is going to seriously hurt your chances since you will have to apply so late. Take the LSAT in June, finish your classes with as high of a GPA as possible and apply next cycle.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 am

neeko wrote:Your best bet is going to be to wait a cycle. A February score is going to seriously hurt your chances since you will have to apply so late. Take the LSAT in June, finish your classes with as high of a GPA as possible and apply next cycle.

I understand that quality is what matters here and I'm going to sound very naive, but I really don't want to wait a whole year. I'll be 25 when I graduate this May and I'm not going to have any kind of a decent job lined up at that point. I've read on this forum several times that part of the reason there's waitlisting in general is because schools try to wait and review all the applications before they begin admitting. Is this not true? I can't be the only person that's taking the LSAT in February and applying for the fall.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:04 am

mgp2675 wrote:
neeko wrote:Your best bet is going to be to wait a cycle. A February score is going to seriously hurt your chances since you will have to apply so late. Take the LSAT in June, finish your classes with as high of a GPA as possible and apply next cycle.

I understand that quality is what matters here and I'm going to sound very naive, but I really don't want to wait a whole year. I'll be 25 when I graduate this May and I'm not going to have any kind of a decent job lined up at that point. I've read on this forum several times that part of the reason there's waitlisting in general is because schools try to wait and review all the applications before they begin admitting. Is this not true? I can't be the only person that's taking the LSAT in February and applying for the fall.

You won't be the only person applying with a February test score, but you, and all those other Feb test-takers, will be at a huge disadvantage.

The earlier you apply, the more acceptances (and scholarships) schools will have available; the later you apply, the fewer spots schools will have. As the admissions cycle gets into the final months, competition for those final spots will get more and more intense. (The reason schools have waitlists is so they have a backup pool of people to draw from if the students the accept outright decide to go elsewhere.)

If you can't take your LSAT in December, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT apply this cycle.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:15 am

No13baby wrote:
mgp2675 wrote:

You won't be the only person applying with a February test score, but you, and all those other Feb test-takers, will be at a huge disadvantage.

The earlier you apply, the more acceptances (and scholarships) schools will have available; the later you apply, the fewer spots schools will have. As the admissions cycle gets into the final months, competition for those final spots will get more and more intense. (The reason schools have waitlists is so they have a backup pool of people to draw from if the students the accept outright decide to go elsewhere.)

If you can't take your LSAT in December, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT apply this cycle.

This.

I am 26 right now, I waited to apply in the right cycle to have the best opportunities. I took in June, which gave me the chance to retake in October if I needed to (which I did). You will have a horrible cycle if you apply in February. Use this next year to get the best possible score on the LSAT and start working on your personal statement now. There are tons of people applying NOW for this cycle, an application after February scores come is not going to have a fair chance.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 am

Okay you've convinced me. I didn't mean to come off as an idiot, it's just that I am naive when it comes to this and I want to make the best decisions for my future. Would you recommend maybe trying to get a job working in the legal business? I would have a B.S. with a very good GPA. I'd need to have some kind of income for over a year, and it would be some experience.

What did you do when you decided to wait?

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 am

Some schools won't accept the February LSAT. For example, NYU last year did not take the February LSAT.

I also am taking some time off and will be 25 in a few weeks. If I start school next year, I'll be going on 26, but I am considering waiting another cycle in order to get the best chance possible to get into a good school. I was/am worried about age too...but there is usually a portion of every class between 24-29, so at least we'll have company! :)

You can really do whatever you want with your year off, just making sure you're doing something. The last thing you want, is absolutely nothing to add to resume after graduating. If trying to do something in the legal field interests you, then go for it, but if there is just something that you have been really interested in and it has nothing to do with law, don't hesitate to do that either. Trying to put some money away is a fine idea as well. I went to one of the LSAC forums once, and was asking current law students what they would have done differently. The majority of them said they wish they had taken a year off before starting law school. Also, as others have mentioned through this forum, your work experience can be beneficial to future employers, ultimately helping you get a job.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 am

mgp2675 wrote:Okay you've convinced me. I didn't mean to come off as an idiot, it's just that I am naive when it comes to this and I want to make the best decisions for my future. Would you recommend maybe trying to get a job working in the legal business? I would have a B.S. with a very good GPA. I'd need to have some kind of income for over a year, and it would be some experience.

What did you do when you decided to wait?

I work already, I'm an Office Manager and worked here all through undergrad and go to school at night, so I am still here at this job until I leave. After you graduate, I would definitely do something with your time, whether it be a job or some sort of volunteer thing. Dont sit idle though.

And you didnt come off as an idiot, it takes a minute to learn the in and outs of this process.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate the helpful advice. Good luck to all of you.

blazinswordofjustice

Postby blazinswordofjustice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:55 pm

and don't feel bad about having to wait a year! This way you can:

study for the LSAT after you graduate, focusing on your final grades now (while still studying some for LSAT now too...)
enjoy life
get a job to pay the bills, catch up financially, etc... OR just travel, get a flexible job that will allow some fun in there...
read tons of TLS forums, freak out, read some more, feel slightly better...
...and be super prepared for next cycle!

good luck!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm

blazinswordofjustice wrote:and don't feel bad about having to wait a year! This way you can:

study for the LSAT after you graduate, focusing on your final grades now (while still studying some for LSAT now too...)
enjoy life
get a job to pay the bills, catch up financially, etc... OR just travel, get a flexible job that will allow some fun in there...
read tons of TLS forums, freak out, read some more, feel slightly better...
...and be super prepared for next cycle!

good luck!

this is backwards

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”