Apply to UVA ED- Need Some Advice!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kingjones59

Apply to UVA ED- Need Some Advice!

Postby kingjones59 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Ok guys so here is my story-

I have a 3.95 LSAC GPA and an LSAT of 165. I took the lsat again this saturday, but I have no idea how I did (game 3...ugh). My softs are decent, (honors college, professional internship with big 3 auto maker, fraternity + others) I have been doing some investigating and looking through LSN etc and determined that I have a decent shot to get into UVA if I apply ED with my 165 right now. I would be very happy with this, as I know if I improved on my LSAT it was not by that much.

So my predicament- UVA says they will get back to you within 15 days of a completed ED app. If I apply within the next week, that means they will give me a decision before the next LSAT score comes out....but will they do this if they see I have another administration that is still pending? Or will they take longer than 2 weeks and wait for my new LSAT score no matter what even if I want them to judge me as I stand now?

In my head this seems like a good plan to me. If I get in, I get in and go to a top-10 law school and waste no money in app fees (I have a merit-based fee waiver to UVA). If I get rejected, that is right around the time my new LSAT comes and I can still apply to other schools still pretty early and even ED somewhere else.

What do you all think? ED to UVA within the next week?

Any advice is appreciated!

Seneca

Re: Apply to UVA ED- Need Some Advice!

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 pm

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =3&type=jd

Several people with numbers like yours got in ED last year when applying early in the cycle. General wisdom seems to hold that higher numbers > early app, especially since a 165 seems to be about the lowest accepted LSAT with that GPA, but in this case I think it might be worth it to roll the dice on ED to UVa. If you're comfortable attending at sticker, apply/send in the ED contract ASAP. Call the office to find out if they'd hold a decision for your Oct score, or if you can indicate a preference either way. Best of luck.

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:28 pm

As far as I know you can typically request that they review your application without waiting for the pending score. The school obviously has the right to decline, but I imagine if you call and talk to them they would review it for you.

Your chances are pretty good btw, but are you entirely confident you didn't get a 170+?

If you are in the low 170s you will be competitive basically everywhere short of possibly Harvard and Yale and would be in line for scholarship money from several schools.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Have your entire application ready to submit the day you get your score back. Waiting until near the end of October won't hurt you.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:23 pm

showNprove wrote:Have your entire application ready to submit the day you get your score back. Waiting until near the end of October won't hurt you.

+1 to waiting.

If that score comes in at 170 you have serious opportunities throughout the T14, including big money at UVA. Hell, 168s were getting into Chicago with that GPA last cycle. Be patient.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”