WUSTL vs. Indiana vs. GWU vs. Emory vs. William and Mary

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emkay625

Re: WUSTL vs. Indiana vs. GWU vs. Emory vs. William and Mary

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:56 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:I have no business being in this thread, but OP, you might want to head over to the Legal Employment section and read up on WUSTL.

None of these schools have great employment.

ETA: what's your gpa, OP? Cornell might be doable and would def be your best shot at a good job

A craptastic 3.22, 4 years of WE (2 in marketing, 2 in TFA), non-URM.

You need to retake to 170, ED UVA

This was very, very much the plan when I retook yesterday. But I fucked that up due to the 3rd LG.

Retaking AGAIN in December, but worried it'll be too late. I'm not cancelling yesterday in hopes that God will smile on me and give me the 170 anyway. But that's a very, very minute possibility. 168 is more likely.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:33 pm

splittinghairs wrote:
Avoid Emory, they are getting killed everywhere, including Atlanta (so you would not have very good 'fallback' prospects).

How so? Not to say that you are doing this, but I tend to see many ppl who just assume that Emory is getting killed from the rankings slip alone. Rankings alone is not indicative of a similar slip in actual employment, so are you guys basing this on other data?

Last I've checked, Emory is still way ahead of UGA in NLJ 250 21% to 11.5% in 2010

I have friends at Emory that are reporting drastic difficulty in landing anything in Atlanta, let alone NY/DC/Chicago. I also have connections in the Atlanta legal market that have discussed the serious lack of business and growth opportunities in Georgia.

And further, yes, Emory is still "way ahead" of UGA in the NLJ250 in 2010. But when you compare 3 years at Emory (at $69,500 per year) to 3 years at UGA ($51K per year for OOS and $34K for In-State), the numbers don't look so great.

Didn't even take rankings into account when making this observation.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm

The problem with Georgia for Emory/Georgia State/U of Georgia is that it is attractive to many T14 students. The Atlanta market is larger than most, and there are no real barriers to entry to prevent external schools from taking the best employment opportunities. Emory does well in general, but much of its NLJ placement is likely in NYC (and not Georgia) - and that would explain the difference in placement between Emory and Georgia State/U of Georgia which place most (if not all) of their students in Georgia.

Regardless of anything, keep your debt down. While you may not be able to control your job prospects pre-law school, you can control debt pre-law school. Be careful.

RustytheBeagle

Postby RustytheBeagle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Click on the snapshot spreadsheet for the detailed information.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”