Overriding the 3x in 2 years LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sandwiches5000

Re: Overriding the 3x in 2 years LSAT

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Would it dampen your defeatist confidence to point out that 1) everyone you go to school with thinks they're going to be top 10% and 90% of them will be wrong; and 2) There's been no demonstrated correlation between LSAT practice test scores and law school performance, so you'll be going to a school where everyone has academic credentials similar to or better than yours? I understand nobody (except myself) goes into law school expecting to be below median, but you shouldn't go to a law school unless you're willing to graduate from that particular school at the middle of the pack since that's most likely where you'll be.

I just checked out your profile... Do you regret your decision not to retake?

Not at all, but then, my test day score was totally in line with my practice tests. If I were in your position and had consistently scored significantly above my actual performance on PTs, I would have retaken. I know I wouldn't be happy in law school if my heart were somewhere else and I felt cheated by where I was attending, and it sounds like you've got big ambitions so I think "settling" would be a bad idea.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm sending out my letter to LSAC today (they'll get it tomorrow due to the time zone difference.) I am scanning in two letters from doctors and I included the contact information for the doctor who diagnosed me with the problem initially. Hopefully that will work. Gahhhhh.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am

Ok. E-mail to LSAC officially sent out today. Had to wait for access to my boss's scanner. *CROSSES FINGERS* OMG.

I should know in seven days, they say. I feel like this is The Ring.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:LSAC won't approve this; it's clear you don't want it enough because if you did you would have just let it go in your pants.

I seriously almost wore a diaper. No joke.

Then why did you not just miss the test, be marked absent and preserve your final shot at 170+ glory?

A diaper wasn't the solution. Not sitting the test when you're ill is the solution.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:25 pm

albanach wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:LSAC won't approve this; it's clear you don't want it enough because if you did you would have just let it go in your pants.

I seriously almost wore a diaper. No joke.

Then why did you not just miss the test, be marked absent and preserve your final shot at 170+ glory?

A diaper wasn't the solution. Not sitting the test when you're ill is the solution.

I wasn't sick until I sat there and the nerves kicked it into high gear, I guess. I had been feeling better that morning and was moderately better the day before, figuring it was all over with.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 am

Well, it's official everyone. My request was denied.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 pm

You're not selling yourself short. You had three chances. The results reflect the results. How many more chances does one need? There is no evidence that you would be content with your 4th try and you have a predisposition toward falling ill on or around test day. I would be happy with the 160 and walk away.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:Well, it's official everyone. My request was denied.

1. wait
2. retake
3. ???
4. profit

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 pm

MrAnon wrote:You're not selling yourself short. You had three chances. The results reflect the results. How many more chances does one need? There is no evidence that you would be content with your 4th try and you have a predisposition toward falling ill on or around test day. I would be happy with the 160 and walk away.

I know. It just blows when you get so much higher in practice. It's just weird to me. I think after the first pitfall and then especially after the second LSAT, I must have subconsciously lost confidence in my ability to perform on it. I know undergrad is different, but I never got nervous on tests there and I got straight A's on all my final exams every semester. I know that means NOTHING when it comes to LSAT ABILITY but one would think that my ability to PERFORM would be somewhat similar...

Still blows, though. Anyway, I kind of saw this coming so I've been working my butt off on my PS and other statements. Ready to send out the apps this week and if I don't get any responses from anywhere I like then I will have to work and try again in Oct.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:35 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Well, it's official everyone. My request was denied.

1. wait
2. retake
3. ???
4. profit

3. whine.

Then pray that I am one of those few lucky people that can get into Berkeley or Michigan with my stats... Or Cornell. Northwestern. Or Georgetown.

If not, find a job because my contract is up in five months & retake.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:05 am

Lost confidence in your ability? What will happen in the real world when things in the court room don't go your way?

Everyone is a star in practice. There's no pressure, no consequences. That's why practice is easy. Performance in practice situations (sports, testing, etc.) does not have an especially high correlation to performance in actual situations. It seems you had the personal opinion that you deserved a 170+ score because of some practice tests. False confidence can lead to intense disappointment.

Let this be a lesson to everyone, especially the young ones on here that haven't been out in the real world. Don't rely on your performance in practice to dictate what you feel will happen for real. Continue to work and study as hard as you possibly can, regardless of whether you obtained the practice score you desired.

Here is a tip for those of you taking the LSAT again. When you take your next practice test, take it with the TV turned on to some annoying channel and with your phone not on silent. This will allow you to have experience dealing with distractions and ignoring them. If you have experience with your phone constantly beeping and annoying chatter in the background while trying to read a passage, it shouldn't be that big of a deal if you encounter a cougher, sneezer, or crier during the real LSAT.

sandwiches5000 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:You're not selling yourself short. You had three chances. The results reflect the results. How many more chances does one need? There is no evidence that you would be content with your 4th try and you have a predisposition toward falling ill on or around test day. I would be happy with the 160 and walk away.

I know. It just blows when you get so much higher in practice. It's just weird to me. I think after the first pitfall and then especially after the second LSAT, I must have subconsciously lost confidence in my ability to perform on it. I know undergrad is different, but I never got nervous on tests there and I got straight A's on all my final exams every semester. I know that means NOTHING when it comes to LSAT ABILITY but one would think that my ability to PERFORM would be somewhat similar...

Still blows, though. Anyway, I kind of saw this coming so I've been working my butt off on my PS and other statements. Ready to send out the apps this week and if I don't get any responses from anywhere I like then I will have to work and try again in Oct.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:32 am

JK910 wrote:Lost confidence in your ability? What will happen in the real world when things in the court room don't go your way?

Everyone is a star in practice. There's no pressure, no consequences. That's why practice is easy. Performance in practice situations (sports, testing, etc.) does not have an especially high correlation to performance in actual situations. It seems you had the personal opinion that you deserved a 170+ score because of some practice tests. False confidence can lead to intense disappointment.

Let this be a lesson to everyone, especially the young ones on here that haven't been out in the real world. Don't rely on your performance in practice to dictate what you feel will happen for real. Continue to work and study as hard as you possibly can, regardless of whether you obtained the practice score you desired.

Here is a tip for those of you taking the LSAT again. When you take your next practice test, take it with the TV turned on to some annoying channel and with your phone not on silent. This will allow you to have experience dealing with distractions and ignoring them. If you have experience with your phone constantly beeping and annoying chatter in the background while trying to read a passage, it shouldn't be that big of a deal if you encounter a cougher, sneezer, or crier during the real LSAT.

sandwiches5000 wrote:

I agree, that sometimes people can cave under pressure and blabla. I'm not usually like this but I guess it happened.

However, I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that one should be able to score as well as they do on practice tests if they have consistently scored at a certain level during timed tests over an extended period of time. I think someone who does have a consistent score in the 170s deserves a score in the 170s, yes. I don't think that it is false confidence to assume you will do just as well, give or take the average 3-4 point decrease due to nerves.

In fact, I think it was my lack of confidence that was false, as I should have been more confident in my abilities to overcome the nerves. Either way, I did get sick during my October test. I am not sure if it was entirely provoked by nerves.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:45 am

Anyway, if I could give advice to anyone who was studying for the LSAT it would be to RELAX and BE CONFIDENT. For me, taking it in June and under-performing after I had already had a bad experience that October with the LSAT kind of drove me nuts. I had already studied for 3-4 months before the June test and was in the mid-170s before I went in. Then, instead of taking a break I put myself on a rigorous study schedule for the months leading up to the October test. It was totally stupid. I was freaking out if I had less than a 179. I know a lot of people on this forum can sympathize with such perfectionist, overachiever tendencies. Just don't let it get to you otherwise you can end up shooting yourself in the foot. Have balance in your life and exercise a lot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”