Adding Late LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Iseeatree

Adding Late LORs

Postby Iseeatree » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey all,

A prof of mine is taking longer to write a recommendation than I expected and I was hoping to send out applications soon. Can I send out applications now and add his LOR later?

BuckinghamB

Re: Adding Late LORs

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 am

I'm experiencing a similar situation myself. I called a couple of the schools in which I'm interested, and the consensus seemed to be that it's better to get your application in early, and then send the LOR later. This is all assuming you already have the required number of letters for the school, and the letter for which you're waiting is supplementary. It's totally frustrating when they take so long! Good luck.

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 am

BuckinghamB wrote:This is all assuming you already have the required number of letters for the school, and the letter for which you're waiting is supplementary.

What if you have one primary letter and one supplementary letter in, and you're waiting for your second primary letter?

spek

Postby spek » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 pm

erikjc wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:This is all assuming you already have the required number of letters for the school, and the letter for which you're waiting is supplementary.

What if you have one primary letter and one supplementary letter in, and you're waiting for your second primary letter?

Interested in the answer to this as well.

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:56 pm

spek wrote:
erikjc wrote:

Yeah, in another thread someone suggested looking at the individual schools' FAQs (for example, Chicago doesn't like you adding things after your file is complete). In my case I think the rec should be sent soon, so there's not much harm waiting an extra week.

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 pm

spek wrote:
erikjc wrote:

Ahh this is my problem as well. :( I'm getting really worried.

chuffedtobits

Postby chuffedtobits » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:36 am

In the same boat. My primary is MIA. She had 3 months to get it in and is now in some country where I am not sure the postal system is reliable. The consensus I have gotten is most schools want the entire app complete before consideration at all.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. Yeah, I guess it depends on the school. One particular school representative told me over the phone that it was better to get it in early if I already have the primary letter, and then just send the second one in after the application is complete....I'm also applying ED to that school so maybe that makes a difference?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”