walked out of my lsat! now what?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swtlilsoni

walked out of my lsat! now what?

Postby swtlilsoni » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:33 pm

I took the LSAT last year and scored a 166. My gpa is 3.2 so I was not able to accomplish my goal of T14. I decided to retake the LSAT this year, hoping to break a 170, and try again. I was supposed to take the October exam today. Long story short, I got paranoid, triple checked answers, wasted time doing that and left a few blank, spent ten minutes panicking (which caused me to waste even more time and leave even more blank) and walked out of the exam (cancelling my score).

Now all that's left is a December retake. I was hoping to take it in October so I can apply early (even do an ED) and up my chances. I feel that applying in January will significantly decrease my chances.

My questions are:

1. Should I wait until after I get my scores back to send in the applications? Or should I send them in now and tell them to wait for my score. If I send them in now, can I send everything in EXCEPT LSAT scores, and send BOTH scores in together? Or will they have to receive last years score before they get the new one?

and the MOST IMPORTANT question:

2. Should I still try and do an ED for a school now? I know I didn't get in any T14 last year, but maybe an ED will give me a shot at one? But this is a risk because if I get rejected, I won't be able to apply again regular decision. What if I apply ED and get rejected, but they would have accepted me if I had waited until my new score came and applied regular decision...

SisterRayVU

Re: walked out of my lsat! now what?

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:40 pm

I don't think a 166 and a 3.2 gives you a shot at a t-14. If you apply ED and you are rejected, you'd be rejected RD as well I believe normally.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:I don't think a 166 and a 3.2 gives you a shot at a t-14. If you apply ED and you are rejected, you'd be rejected RD as well I believe normally.

Well the point is, if I wait until Jan and apply RD I'd have my NEW scores which will be over 170

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Take the December test or enjoy Emory.

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:14 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:I don't think a 166 and a 3.2 gives you a shot at a t-14. If you apply ED and you are rejected, you'd be rejected RD as well I believe normally.

Well the point is, if I wait until Jan and apply RD I'd have my NEW scores which will be over 170

gl

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:15 pm

This is the second or third thread today about extreme test phobia. If you can't lock it up by yourself...Xanax my friend, Xanax.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:16 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:

obviously

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:50 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:1. Should I wait until after I get my scores back to send in the applications? Or should I send them in now and tell them to wait for my score. If I send them in now, can I send everything in EXCEPT LSAT scores, and send BOTH scores in together? Or will they have to receive last years score before they get the new one?

Either way, you won't be considered until that second score comes in. So it won't make much of a difference at all.

2. Should I still try and do an ED for a school now? I know I didn't get in any T14 last year, but maybe an ED will give me a shot at one? But this is a risk because if I get rejected, I won't be able to apply again regular decision. What if I apply ED and get rejected, but they would have accepted me if I had waited until my new score came and applied regular decision...

With those numbers, I don't think you'll have a great shot with ED.

Also, don't assume you're going to get a 170 on the December test. I don't mean to be deflating, but you just can't assure yourself of something like that. I know people who PT'ed in the mid-160s who killed it test day to break 170, and I know people averaging 175 who ended up in the 160s on test day. You can make plans based on the possibility of a 170, but don't make plans assuming a 170 (all I'm trying to say is, have a back-up plan).

All that being said, you might be best of waiting another year to apply. Applying with a December LSAT is going to put you at a disadvantage, and you seem to be in a position where you want all the advantages you can get (since you're already reapplying from a bad season last year). You'll have to wait until you get your score back from December to be sure, but I'd have a back up plan to fill in time for another year. That work experience will also help with apps.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm

With a 3.2 your chances of a t-14 are zero. Stop aiming for something impossible. However, you do have a chance at a t-20 (e.g., GW if you get a high enough LSAT), or a good T30 (Fordham).

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm

There is no point in sending in your application without an LSAT score since the application isn't complete and can't be considered. Much better to send everything all at once when your score comes in. Plus, you have no idea right now which schools are even realistic, so paying $$ for schools that end up being far off your rader (either in the reach or safety range) is pretty dumb. Also, as you mentioned, you will most certainly need to break 170 in order to have a shot at T14 school. So your goal right now should be to think long and hard about what happened last Saturday to ensure that you can change things up for the December test.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Retake. And sit still.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Damn, that is anti-clutch. But still good luck with the cycle anyway.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Eco wrote:With a 3.2 your chances of a t-14 are zero. Stop aiming for something impossible. However, you do have a chance at a t-20 (e.g., GW if you get a high enough LSAT), or a good T30 (Fordham).
Just pointing out that the bolded is incorrect. Lower T14 is completely possible with a high enough LSAT.

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eco wrote:With a 3.2 your chances of a t-14 are zero. Stop aiming for something impossible. However, you do have a chance at a t-20 (e.g., GW if you get a high enough LSAT), or a good T30 (Fordham).
Just pointing out that the bolded is incorrect. Lower T14 is completely possible with a high enough LSAT.

++
Even Chicago and NYU are feasible (though not likely) with a score well into the 170s.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”