Character & Fitness Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Void

Re: Character & Fitness Question

Postby Void » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:41 pm

You guys know that the OP was 6 months ago, right?

uofrhopefull

Postby uofrhopefull » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

I've managed to get into some my top choices, granted, I was lucky enough that they didn't ask for traffic tickets that resulted in less than a $200 fine.

I've talked to the Bar for a couple of states that I'm interested in, and they seem to think that as long as I continue to stay on the right path I should be OK. I fully expect to have to jump through some hurdles come C&F time, I'm just hoping they will see that I was a young idiot, and I don't even know who that person was.

I really wanted to get some more input from you all (I've learned quite a bit from the TLS posters).

I am hopeful that if they do pay attention to patterns that they look at the fact that there will only be 5 citations in the 8 years preceding my application the Bar.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Void wrote:You guys know that the OP was 6 months ago, right?

Nope, that would have been useful to have noticed....

Was good to hear the OP is doing alright with it though....

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:36 pm

uofrhopefull wrote:I've managed to get into some my top choices, granted, I was lucky enough that they didn't ask for traffic tickets that resulted in less than a $200 fine.

I've talked to the Bar for a couple of states that I'm interested in, and they seem to think that as long as I continue to stay on the right path I should be OK. I fully expect to have to jump through some hurdles come C&F time, I'm just hoping they will see that I was a young idiot, and I don't even know who that person was.

I really wanted to get some more input from you all (I've learned quite a bit from the TLS posters).

I am hopeful that if they do pay attention to patterns that they look at the fact that there will only be 5 citations in the 8 years preceding my application the Bar.

...If you stop fucking up.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Good God :shock:

That's a damn lot of C&F, but it looks like you've done your due diligence.

Best of luck, and remind me to stay far away from you on the highway.

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:53 pm

I guess I should warn my friend who is in HSY that his 20+ dismissals of traffic violations will keep him barred from the exam.

I think the problem here is convictions not dismissals. I do not see how all your minor infractions can be used against you; in fact, I would not be surprised if it caused some laughter for the reviewers who almost certainly had brushed with "the law."

The DUI is going to be a stupid blip but do consult a lawyer not TLS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Void wrote:You guys know that the OP was 6 months ago, right?

OP was the one who bumped the thread.

jbc7

Postby jbc7 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 pm

how the hell can you be so bad at driving
wow

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Applying_Late wrote:I guess I should warn my friend who is in HSY that his 20+ dismissals of traffic violations will keep him barred from the exam.

I think the problem here is convictions not dismissals. I do not see how all your minor infractions can be used against you; in fact, I would not be surprised if it caused some laughter for the reviewers who almost certainly had brushed with "the law."

The DUI is going to be a stupid blip but do consult a lawyer not TLS.

Unfortunately OP's behavior shows a disregard for following the law. I'd have to argue that it could come back and bit him/her in the ass.

OP says they have spoken with the Bar (whatever that means), so it appears he/she knows the risk.

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Do you really believe that someone who was issued over 50 minor traffic violations (dismissed say 47 times) would have CF trouble? I highly doubt it--it is a joke to be penalized for "disregarding the law" if the law was proved to be applied incorrectly ie dismissed. I think law enforcement tends to be a little too ticket-happy and CF Ppl know this. And the law schools that ask for infractions are bad law schools--for them it's a filter to weed out as much bad publicity they can and they also gamble that if one has a bad history with infractions, then they might bring other "bad" things.

And the whole disregard-for-the-law argument is strange: 50 speeding tickets does not imply that the person who accrued them is a driving pariah or speed monster; maybe there are other issues at stake....

I am going to reiterate that dismissed infractions are not going to cause a blip not even the damn pattern. The dui is troubling, the no show is troubling--they speak to something greater.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 am

jbc7 wrote:how the hell can you be so bad at driving
wow

oh for christ's sake. of all the things to be self-righteous about. shut up.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 am

I went back and looked at the list again, there's only a few actual moving violations, so my apologies to the OP.

I do agree that the DUI and the no-shows could be an issue, but it looks like those will be over a decade old at the time he/she graduates.

This could be interesting to follow.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”